Notebook Coolers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lann, May 31, 2011.

1. Lann macrumors member

What are the best notebook coolers out there, for the Macbook Pro?

Also, I've heard of cooling mats that use a type of gel to disperse the heat. Do these work well? not as good as a fan?

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Most notebook coolers work by forcing air to the bottom of the notebook. All recent Macbooks have a completely sealed bottom panel so there's very little cooling that occurs there. In fact, Apple has gone to great trouble to prevent any heat from hitting the bottom since the user's legs are frequently in contact with this area.

So, like was just posted above, there's really no benefit to this style of cooler.

3. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Have you ever noticed that the bottom of the MBP gets hot if it is sitting on a flat surface?
    Therefore, cooling can occur on the bottom of the MBP.

So in actual fact, notebook stands, and those with built-in fans do aid in keeping the MBP cooler.

A decent stand that suits the aesthetics of the Mac is the mStand by Rain Design.

I can't comment on the 'gel' mats as I've never come across them.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Keeping the bottom cool for comfort is different than keeping it cool for longevity or whatever other artificial reason people use to justify purchasing notebook coolers. You can achieve comfort by using a magazine or a piece of plastic. A notebook cooler will make zero practical difference with respect to the life of your machine.

5. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

The bottom of the MBP is a heat sink, cooler heat sink = cooler operating temperature.

6. DustinT, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  7. Blue Sun, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011

Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

So....

What you're saying is, the surface in which you use a MBP doesn't affect the operating temperature?

Pretty sure the computer runs hotter on say a bed, or a lap than a flat surface like a desk.

Hmmm, I wonder why that is, perhaps because there is less air flow underneath the computer.
    More air flow, results in better ventilation which means a cooler computer.

So using a stand does reduce the operating temperature of a notebook.

8. Icy1007, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011

Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

The surface the MBP is used on is irrelevant. All that matters is that the air vents on the back of the screen between the screen henge and main body of the laptop are not impeded or blocked.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That is not the discussion. The discussion is about whether or not cooling pads matter with regard to the life of the machine, and the answer is clearly "no." If you want something to put on your lap for comfort, you do not need to spend the $20 on a laptop cooler when practically anything you have lying around your abode will serve the same function.

See above. Not relevant.
    See above. Not relevant.

See above. Not relevant.