Notebook/Maching for Music Editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thaloveabove, Dec 6, 2007.

  1. thaloveabove macrumors newbie

    Dec 6, 2007
    OK so here's my situation...

    Currently have a decent PC, but have been wanting a Mac to start a home recording studio using Logic Studio as recording software. Was planning to buy a MacBook Pro around this time, but have run across discussion about a possible update in January at the Mac World conference. Since I don't NEED a laptop now there's part of me that can wait, but I also want to get this recording studio stuff going since I'll be on vacation for 2 months and will have time to work on it.

    My question: Does anyone have any recommendations on purchasing a relatively inexpensive mac desktop to start my studio work, while waiting for the upgraded MacBook Pro? Where can I find a relatively inexpensive desktop that will suitably run Logic Studio? Does anyone have any other recommendations as to how I could handle my situation (get studio work done while waiting for the improved MBP)?

    Thanks for the help...
  2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040


    Sep 16, 2007
    Berklee College of Music
    Okay, here's my assumption:

    I just got my new 2.0 C2D Macbook a week or so ago. I got Logic Express with it, and though I haven't been doing any recording yet, I have been working with Logic with quite a few EXS instruments. Now, the Mac Mini is about the same as the Macbook in terms of specs. It's a little slower processor, but not by much, and the graphics card is not quite as good, but not a big deal for logic. Now, you can wait for another response to verify this, but if the Mac Mini is as easy as the Macbook, or atleast somewhat easy, to replace the RAM in, I just got 4GB of RAM in my Macbook and Logic runs so smoothly, it's quite amazing. If you got a Mac Mini, and you already had the Monitor, plus you wanted to up to 2 or 4GB of RAM (I got my RAM, 4GB, from for $60!), you're looking at about $7-800 for a desktop that will suit your needs with logic until you get the macbook pro. I'm just making the assumption that it will suit your needs based on my own experience with my new macbook, so wait for someone else to verify. Just my two cents.
  3. thaloveabove thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 6, 2007
    Yea that sounds like a good idea. I could use the mac mini to kind of get used to logic while waiting for the new MBP to come out. Is the resale value on the mini's pretty good? If I bought a $700 or $800 mini and wanted to sell it a month or two down the road, what do you think I could get for it?
  4. thaloveabove thread starter macrumors newbie

    Dec 6, 2007
    No one has any more advice/another answer to my situation?

Share This Page