notebook mouse for imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mike789, Aug 14, 2008.

1. mike789 macrumors member

does anyone know if a notebook mouse will work with a pc or imac? I just went out and bought a wireless mouse for desktop and when I opened it I realized it had a huge bulky receiver as big as the mouse. I guess I should have done my research. But I saw the notebook mice have a little usb flashdrive size receiver which is much more convenient. Does anyone know if one of these will work on my imac? thanks.

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Buy one that has Bluetooth so you don't even have the USB nubby thing.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Get the Logitech MX Revolution. Yes it has a receiver but it's TINY. A fraction of the size of the mouse and smaller than most USB flash drives.

You won't find any decent desktop-sized bluetooth mice on the market. Microsoft seem to have discontinued their Bluetooth 8000 mouse.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

or you can try apple's mighty mouse (wireless bluetooth). no usb dongle (receiver as you called it) and it's desktop sized.

6. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

The Bluetooth Mighty Mouse is wonderful.

7. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

No they didn't...

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=084

If you want a smaller one, get the BT 5000 [I'm using it now with my MB] works great, good battery life [if you turn it off]. The cool thing about the 8000 is that you can recharge it...

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I beg to differ. I really do think that the Mighty Mouse is one of the worst mice ever produced by any company. It's horrifically overpriced and if it was Logitech or Labtech who decided that they'd do away with the buttons on the mouse and introduce some weird touch system which doesn't even work properly then the product would have failed before it even got off the mark. But because it has an Apple logo people "love" it and it sells well.

Avoid.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

every product has defects. mine is just fine. so don't go pushing your zealotry to the OP. mines fine, my 4 friends who bought them (assortment of wired/wireless) are fine. don't listen to biased opinions.

and what "weird touch system" are you talking about? just left/right click buttons, side squeeze buttons and a scroll ball. simple, and effective, the logitech is overloaded with buttons and led indicators and the rubber grip feels very cheap, 2 of my windows friends have them (VX and MX) and i've used them/ feel worse than some dollar store crap.

10. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I had the MX revolution at my last job. They ordered them with every DELL D830's <<SHUDDER>> they purchased. They were horrible. I brought in my own little MS notebook mouse. It worked better, and cost 1/10 the price of the $70 POS Logicrap.

11. mike789 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the great replies. I will look into them. But I was just wondering if a standard "notebook mouse" will work on a desktop computer. Like will notebook only work on notebooks and desktop on desktops?

thanks

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no distinction between notebook mice and desktop mice, except many notebook mice are smaller in size and therefore, more portable.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

no distinction as mentioned above, they just say that because of the smaller size of notebooks in relation to the mouse size. a desktop is bigger, so bigger mice, notebook smaller, so smaller mice. but it is cross-computer catgory compatibile.

14. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

There are no buttons on the mighty mouse - the whole thing senses what area you are touching and attempts (but usually fails) to determine whether you want to left click or right click. If you have a finger sitting on the other button for example it will get confused and pick whatever one it likes. Not a good system. I like to rest my whole hand on the mouse and having it decide that I have to lift EVERY FINGER off the mouse just to click is a nuisance and it is not comfortable.