Notebook workstation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arkangil, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Arkangil macrumors regular

I just got my first Mac ever, refurb 2.53 MBP to become my desktop replacement. So far, I am loving it! although I haven't delved too deep beyond the surface yet.

Anyway, here's the setup. My wife has a Toshiba notebook. I also have an external Samsung monitor. The idea is to have a desk, with just a monitor on top. We will then have a Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse in a drawer. This way, either of us can plug in the monitor, and use the same keyboard and mouse when we want to work at a desk.

So basically, I need a Mac and PC friendly keyboard and mouse. I know the Apple keyboard is bluetooth, but has no numberpad, which I require. I have searched for bluetooth numberpads but they seem few and far between.

If I were to get a regular wireless numberpad that has a USB receiver, can that same receiver be used for a wireless keyboard and mouse as well? Or will it be designed for the numberpad only?

I guess I am just looking for the most effective way to have a wireless keyboard, mouse, and numberpad, that works with both PC and Mac.

If I were to get the Mac keyboard, can my wife still access buttons like Control, Alt, Menu, and Windows? Alternatively, if I get a PC one, can I still access Control, Command, Function, and that other one? I still don't know what all these buttons on my Mac are for!!

Thanks for your assistance all. I'd love to hear the kinds of Mac/PC setups you have.

2. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Nearly any keyboard / mouse will work for you. Right click works the same now, for the most part. Your Windows Key will be your Command and the rest sort of fall into place. You might have to get used to the Fkeys as they all have their place on a MacBook/MacBook Pro. I use a Logitec set for mine sometimes.