NoteMaster 3.0 - Notes and Images, together at last!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by KabukiAdam, Dec 22, 2009.

1. KabukiAdam macrumors newbie

NoteMaster - web site link
    (great demonstration movie on the front page)

NoteMaster - App Store link

Hi, this is Adam from Kabuki Vision, and I'm happy to announce that we've just released NoteMaster 3.0 for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Everyone has different needs, and every notetaking app focuses on different things, but we strongly believe that NoteMaster is the best all-around notes app in the app store today. And now version 3.0 lets your great-looking notes look even better with the inclusion of themed backgrounds.

And now you can try before you buy with NoteMaster Lite.

main.jpg furnitue.jpg stay_organized.jpg monday_tasks.jpg

Create great looking notes
    You'll never be limited to boring notes again! Use NoteMaster to quickly and easily create notes containing text, images, and headers. Images are inserted right into the note where they belong, without resorting to clumsy attachments. Bold text headers allow you to further organize your note into logical sections.

And now in version 3.0 NoteMaster supports "themes". Choose from a variety of gorgeous backgorunds and fonts for your notes.

Stay organized
    Keep your notes organized by creating note categories and assigning your notes to them. Categories can be password-protected for privacy. Browse your notes by category or find them quickly using the full-text search.

Keep in sync
    NoteMaster syncs its notes with the Google Docs™ program, allowing you to view and edit our notes online or on your computer---all text, headers, and images are preserved! Syncing is as easy as the press of a single button---NoteMaster keeps track of which notes need syncing, so you don't have to. Or easily share a note with a friend by e-mailing it at a rich HTML e-mail.

More features
    • Images right inside the note text
    • Section headers
    • True syncing with Google Docs
    • Organize notes in categories
    • Password protect categories
    • Assorted theme backgrounds
    • Full text search
    • E-mail notes
    • Landscape mode
    • Font selection
    • Hyperlinks
    • Copy and paste

I'm going to monitor this thread in case anyone has any questions about NoteMaster. Thanks!

Adam

2. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I've been switching between Evernote (a bit too unintuitive) and SimpleNote (wish it could do images, lists).

How would you say your app compares to these two?

Also - can you take & add a photo or does the photo have to be saved to the camera roll first?

3. KabukiAdam thread starter macrumors newbie

To answer you last question first, yes you can take a photo right from NoteMaster and insert it into your note. No need for it to be first saved to the camera roll.

Evernote lets you create different note "types" (text, image, voice, etc), but it doesn't let you combine these elements into a single note the way that NoteMaster does. Also, Evernote is primarily an online note service and the iPhone app is really intended to be a client layer to that service. That's fine if you intend to fully dive into the world of Evernote (use their online service and install their desktop note clients and all that). Whereas NoteMaster is primarily an iPhone notes app that happens to let you sync your notes to Google Docs. Different people prefer different approaches, but NoteMaster would definitely be better suited for people who don't want to feel like they always have to be connected to "the cloud". Also, I personally find Evernote's UI to be awkward, and I think you'll find that NoteMaster is very simple and straightforward to use.

Simplenote is really just focused on text notes and syncing to their online service. If that's all you need, its a fine app, but if you'd like to have more sophisticated looking notes, then NoteMaster is a better choice. Also, NoteMaster lets you categorize your notes, which is a feature I personally couldn't live without.

Both Evernote and Simplenote sync notes to their own online services. NoteMaster syncs to Google Docs. Most people already have a Google account, so its a better fit for a lot of people who don't want to have to go create another account somewhere.

But I encourage everyone to compare for themselves. NoteMaster Lite is fully functional and free.

4. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'll definitely take a look. It sounds like it might be just what I need — somewhere between Evernote & Simplenote.

5. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

This is a great note app. Definitely my new note taking app of choice:D. I love adding pictures, that is a great feature.

6. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    OP, FYI

Your iTunes link doesn't work.....
    nice app...looks like a nice UI also... hmmmmm might have to pick it up....

7. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

This looks interesting and I'll try the Lite version for a while with Google docs. Currently using Evernote but as said above, it doesn't integrate pics in notes. Just out of interest, what are the limitations of the Lite?

8. KabukiAdam thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'm really glad you like it. We're continuing to plan more great features, so it will only get better. :)

Adam

9. KabukiAdam thread starter macrumors newbie

D'oh! Thanks, I fixed it.

10. KabukiAdam thread starter macrumors newbie

The Lite version limits you to 7 notes total. Otherwise, it has the exact same functionality as the full version.

11. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

This is a nice app! I really like the ability to do headers, images and text all combined. I do a bunch of work where I observe the way people work, take photos, write notes about what I see, etc. Essentially, this lets me do it in a single app! Is there a limit on the "note" size? For example, if I have 20 paragraphs of text with 20 photos, will it be an issue?

Thanks!

12. KabukiAdam thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no built-in limit, but at a certain point you'll run into memory issues if you try to create a note with lots of images. I tried creating one with 20 paragraphs and 20 images on my iPhone 3G, and it struggled a bit. I don't have my 3GS here right now to test with, but the 3GS has double the RAM, so it wouldn't be a problem on that device.

13. stevearm macrumors 6502a

I wish they would get rid of that horrible drop shadow under every image. I don't get it. Are the images supposed to be hovering on top of the page, creating a shadow? No, they're supposed to be stuck onto the paper, no shadow.

And can't the huge (X) button on every single image only appear, say, if you tap the image first? Or Perhaps with an Edit button?

14. KabukiAdam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the images actually are hovering over the page, hence the shadow. I can't really get into the details of the technology used to get them to hover...all I can say it that's it's somewhat similar to anti-gravity.

I agree the close button is a bit distracting. We'll find a better way to deal with it as you suggest.

Adam

15. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Not sure if I missed a setting or something, but when I emailed a note with a picture in, the picture was not viewable on my iPhone when I retrieved the mail.

I should add I was using SMTP. There's just the funny ? Icon at the bottom of the mail.

EDIT: No worries, it was a problem with my mail server. The email wasn't received cleanly. A resend sorted it all out.

Really liking this app, and Evernote has lost its place on my Homescreen.

16. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

OK, after one day of use, one suggestion: you need ability to quick add a new note from the main screen. At the moment you have to launch app and navigate to chosen category and then write a note. Would be good if there was a button to add a note next to adding the new category, or replace the new category button, which would only become active when the main screen was being edited. At the moment it's too many steps to write a quick note, because you need to think where you want to put it before you get to write it. Better write it first and then worry about where it's going.

Just a thought.

17. fredf macrumors 6502

+1

18. athand macrumors member

19. KabukiAdam thread starter macrumors newbie

Great minds think alike - we've added this in the next update (available soon!)

20. shearm macrumors member

shearm

auto sync

id love to have auto sync, while you're at it. i dont like to have to remember to flip to the main screen and hit sync.
    cheers

21. KabukiAdam thread starter macrumors newbie

It's something we're looking into. Our current method of syncing requires several seconds to complete, even if nothing has changed, because it needs to also check with Google to see if the notes have changed on their end. If you mean something more like "sync the note I just edited in NoteMaster as soon as I'm done with it" (more like an "incremental syncing"), that certainly is possible, and its something we'll definitely consider.

22. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I'd like to see.

23. eugeniadav macrumors newbie

App for Mac?

It's a great app and I'm using it on both, iPhone and iPad. However, being a student who carries mainly her Mac to the lectures, I'd love to have a version of the app for the Mac as well so that my notes can be synced between the three devices. Would that come out anytime soon?