Notepad++ Alternative for OSX?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by prodigee, Mar 29, 2011.

1. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

Sorry for such a basic question but I'm kind of in a pinch and been looking pretty much everywhere and can't find anything. I've been using a lot of notepad++ on the Windows side for programming basic web stuff in class, and I really like how easy it is to use and how it poitns out where there are errors in your code, I was wondering if there is something similar to that for OSX. I've tried BBedit but I wasn't too pleased with its in ability to save as .php

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I think (but not sure) this is what you are looking for.

3. prodigee thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you very much.

4. harpster macrumors regular

Text Wrangler a stripped down version of BBEdit but still very capable. You should also check out TextMate http://macromates.com/ which is another popular Mac text editor.

5. level1kid macrumors newbie

you should look into komodo edit it is free and it basicly is a great IDE for HTML (and other languages) it also has a built in browser for easy testing. I don't know if this is what you wanted, as it is more to and IDE then a text editor, but you should really try it out.:)

6. ryanvalle macrumors member

7. dwig macrumors 6502

Or consider TextWrangler's brother app, BBEdit. BBEdit is still being maintained and will be going forward.

8. rjbruce macrumors regular

I use SublimeText. It is a free trial but doesn't enforce an end period, just occasional reminder. It works across all platforms and after using it a little off and on over the years, I went ahead and purchased since I've really started using it recently for Angular and JavaScript work.

9. adib macrumors regular

adib

Otherwise vim and emacs are free and built-in to macOS. Open Terminal and type:

vim​

or type

emacs​

10. mkelly macrumors regular

If you're coming from a Microsoft environment, you might like Microsoft's Visual Studio Code:

http://code.visualstudio.com

Great syntax highlighting, support for lots and lots of plugins, and is cross-platform (Windows, Linux and macOS).

11. theluggage macrumors 68030

Note to avoid confusion: Visual Studio Code, Visual Studio for Windows and Visual Studio for Mac are three completely different products.

I don't think "coming from a Microsoft environment" is relevant: VS Code is actually an Atom fork, so it will have similar pros/cons. However, it is good and I'd recommend checking it out for HTML/JavaScript/TypeScript - my impression was it needed less work "out of the box" than Atom.

12. rctneil macrumors member

I'd highly recommend VSCode. I've used Sublime Text and Atom. I liked Sublime but decided to try another so went with Atom. I liked that but it was super slow at times. VSCode is similar to Atom but way faster. Free and cross platform too!

13. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

atom.io could also be your friend -- it's multi-platform and runs on macOS, Linux and Windows.

14. Helpfixit macrumors member

Can I suggest Code Editor for OSX.

CodeRunner can run code in 23 languages out-of-the-box, and can be easily extended to support any other language.

https://coderunnerapp.com

IMG_0328.PNG

15. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I love TextMate for anything plain text and most source files. It has support for all, highlights them, has bundles and great support for running commands through the files. I really have been enjoying it for years.

For most serious coding I do lean towards Sublime Text 3. It's quite nifty and alike TextMate

They aren't an IDE, but they get pretty close. While staying simple for just text editing.