Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuseattletoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
For years, I used a great little app called NotePad Deluxe (NPD) and loved it. It's no longer compatible with OSX and I'm looking for a replacement. There are tons of little notepad apps out there, or simple textedit types of programs, but this had one feature in particular that I really liked . . the ability to randomly order the notes.

For example, I would have one "note" for just phone numbers, another for serial numbers, another with our insurance info or recommended handyment, maybe a copy of an online chat with customers service. HOWEVER, I could move the notes around to any order I wanted, not just alphabetically or in the order of date created. This is a great feature and I can't seem to find any other Notepad type of program that allows it. I like it 'cause I can keep my list of important phone numbers on top but maybe information about picture frames I like at the bottom, regardless of whether or not I created the picture frame note first. Here's a blurred out sample:

notepad_sample.jpg

All the notes on the right column can be dragged into any order. Everything can be sorted and printed and formatted but it's the order dragging that means the most to me.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help.

stu

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Evernote has a an interface where you can pin the notes and notebooks you use frequently so that they're constantly available in the side bar. It also has a section where it displays your recent notes. I think it's one of the best apps out there for taking and organising notes.

andrea81

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
Did you try notational velocity? Its search paradigm is so seamless and fast that ordering is not even relevant IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.