Notes and iCloud

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Resist, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

I had the assumption that notes would automatically be backed up to iCloud with the correct settings in place. But what I have discovered is that I have different Notes on my iPhone and Notes in iCloud. Obviously I want my notes backed up, but I don't want two different accounts on my iPhone.

So am I correct in assuming that I should make all my notes setup for iCloud, to get what I want? So them I also have to copy all my notes that are only "On My iPhone" and paste them to the "iCloud" account in notes?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

notes for icloud needs to be turned on for both devices, and you need to be logged into them with the same ID on both as well. if you entered notes prior to having icloud sync, i think you will be given the option to merge them.

3. maxosx macrumors 68020

Once Apple improves iCloud I'll give it another try.

In the meantime I've had years of enjoyment with the very well thought out, constantly evolving Evernote.

4. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I did that a long time ago. But this doesn't help my issue. As I said before, if you open notes and go to the accounts section you get three choices, "All Notes", "On My iPhone" and "iCloud". When I put notes on my iPhone, they don't automatically get backed up in iCloud. So apparently if I want them backed up I have to create them in the "iCloud account.

This just seems to complicated. Any note I create should be backed up via iCloud automatically, if the device is logged into iCloud. Maybe I just don't have iCloud setup correctly, I don't know.

5. bloutrein macrumors regular

bloutrein

Just go to Settings > Notes and change the Default Account from "On My iPhone" to "iCloud". Now any note you create on your iPhone will automatically be created on your iCloud account.

Pitty is that the already-created "On My iPhone" notes can in no way be pushed to the iCloud.

6. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

My settings were already like this.

I guess I just don't understand why Notes has several accounts available to it. When I add to the account called "All Notes", not realizing it was from the Note account "On My iPhone" and it won't be backed up.

7. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

In Settings > Mail, Contacts & Calendars, you may have another account in there with Notes turned on.

8. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Yea, iCloud. Which is what I want, my notes to be backed up. But when I do this it still seems to me that I it should know I don't want another note account that isn't backed up. Still makes no sense to me.

9. annaharris macrumors member

Use the same account in iCloud to sync your data, which has your necessary notes' backup data.

10. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm not seeing that option.

11. bloutrein macrumors regular

bloutrein

Different notes accounts on the iPhone cannot be merged as can some contact accounts (for example your iPhone local contacts and your iCloud contacts). The most you can do to bring all notes in one place is to have your iCloud notes transferred to your "On My iPhone" notes account.

Merging notes from "On My iPhone" notes account to "iCloud" account however is virtually impossible. I do not yet understand why.

12. ryuunohi macrumors newbie

What??? This is my exact problem. I never used iCloud before and now I'm trying to sync my notes before getting a new phone. The notes in my newly made "iCloud" folder are syncing just fine it's all those other notes I made previously "On My iPhone" that I want to sync!! I've resorted to just emailing them to myself but that's quite clumsy if you ask me!! Has there been any fix for this?