NOTES App Password Protected?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Irock619, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

So I just deleted a password protected note without having to provide a password or touch id. Anybody else think this is a problem? I think this is a problem because any alteration to the note, including deletion of the note, should require a password or touch id.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I think you can set a password only and not require touch ID. With that being the case what if your phone doesn't have touch ID or you forgot the password? You should still be able to delete the note.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

It seems like Apple's implementation of this (at least this first/current one) is to make sure that the data stays private, and not really from the point of view of making sure that that actions on a note itself are restricted--basically content vs. the object itself.

4. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

Touch ID doesn't matter. If you set a password for a note and forget the password then you are SOL. Same thing if you forget the password to unlock your iPhone/iPad without touch id. The whole point of setting a password is to protect data, which includes the ability to delete data. Maybe there should be a way to reset the password for the NOTES app on the iCloud website or Apple ID account page?

5. Armen, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Since when does Password protection mean read-only? I have password protected files at work I can delete without knowing the password.

6. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

And I have files at work that do require a password so what's your point?

7. Armen, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The point of password protecting notes is to prevent friendly users from peeking into sensitive information on your phone. If these friendly users like to delete notes then maybe they should be re-assessed.

Hostile users would need to defeat the passcode lock to even get to the notes.

8. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

I had hoped that the entire Notes-app would have been password-protected. As I understand it, I have to protect each individual note.. Right?

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yes, this is a per-note option.

10. -Gonzo- macrumors regular

You can pick and choose which notes you want locked, however when you unlock one it unlocks all.

11. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

I too hoped the notes app was protected as a whole and not individual notes.

12. -Gonzo- macrumors regular

You can lock and open as a whole, but you have to lock each note individually first.