iPad Notes App That Syncs w/ Mac w/o iCloud/Dropbox

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by dinkyrdj, Oct 7, 2015.

1. dinkyrdj, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

dinkyrdj macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knows of iPad notes app that meets two fairly specific requirements:
    1. Allows the use of a stylus on the iPad
    2. Allows user to sync notes between the iPad and a Mac using a cable. My use case requires that I do NOT use iCloud, Dropbox, or any other form of cloud syncing. Ideally, I'd just use a USB cable to sync the computer and the iPad.
    I'd appreciate any ideas you might have. Thanks!

2. Xenden macrumors regular

Notability does all that. It is what i use every day for school. It keeps the files synced between iPad, iPhone, and Mac. Great backup support.

iOS version

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notability/id360593530?mt=8&v0=www-us-ipad-learning-app-notability

Mac version

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notability/id736189492?mt=12

It is a great app. You can record audio while you're writing. When you play back the audio, the program shows what you were writing as the audio was captured.

Great app, can't recommend highly enough.

3. dinkyrdj thread starter macrumors newbie

Notability looks promising. I just want to confirm (as I couldn't find this information on their website/help), can Notability sync with a USB cable, i.e. sync without iCloud? Thanks!

4. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Notability will work for you but you may wish to look at Evernote as it is also on the top shelf.

5. dinkyrdj thread starter macrumors newbie

I like Evernote except for the cloud storage. I don't think Evernote allows USB sync. Did this change?

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Neither Notability nor Evernote will sync without a cloud interface. iTunes really wasn't made for syncing data.

7. dinkyrdj thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was afraid of. It would be nice if there was a notes software that allowed syncing over USB cable without forcing cloud storage. Oh well.