Notes From Today's Showtime Event

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we begin to soak in today's announcements, a few tidbits of note:

- In reference to 'iTV', Steve only said that "802.11" would be used for wireless communication. Currently, Apple employs 802.11g "Airport Extreme" in its products, but the lack of specificity may hint at an adoption of the upcoming 802.11n standard.

- Many users have noted the iTunes 7 standalone installer includes a greyed-out custom option for "iTunes Phone Driver". It is not clear whether this driver is for the rumored iPhone or for already iTunes compatible phones from Motorola.

- To the delight of many existing 5G owners, iPod Software 1.2 (included with iTunes 7) will provide capability to playback the increased resolution of new iTunes TV Shows, Music Videos, and Movies. The technical specifications of the 5G had originally stated the maximum resolution for h264 playback as 320x240 px.

- iTunes 7 will confirm if you wish to re-download content, and has a backup utility for backing up your library. Also introduced is a feature called "skip count" which tells you how often you have skipped a song.

Digg This

lwood

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2002
Ordered today..

Glad I saw the software updates, ordered a 30G black refurb, but it's a 5G, so, I can get the higher res videos and play games. that works for me. Couldnt beat it for $199 + tax.

jrath1

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2005
No more Firewire????

Do any of these new ipods have a firewire connection??

If not..that's some BS

Lertie32

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
CA
new stuff!

Whoohoo! One of the first replies!

I'm watching the webcast now... already updated iTunes and looks very coool so far!

And... OMG... Steve's wearing a black dress shirt instead of a turtleneck!
:eek:

Anybody know if the new iPod search features are going to work for existing iPods? So far I can't find it on my 60G that I just also updated...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Holding myself back form a shuffle for running, but I will definitely be buying a set top box when they come out. They must have been delaye din getting those together, or they wouldn't have given a sneak peak.

Not like they could really release movies without any hope to the consumer of playing them on a TV.

pilzbury

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
Reading, Pa
iTV pics?

Anyone have pic's or know where to look for pics of this 'iTV'? or did they not show it? I am really interested in this.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
jrath1 said:
Do any of these new ipods have a firewire connection??

If not..that's some BS
The 'old' 5G iPods didn't have Firewire.

EDIT: <maxwell smart>Missed it by that much.</maxwell smart>

bcallen

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2006
Oxford, MS
So... Does this mean my G5 iPod will have increased resolution? And also, when I updated my iTunes and plugged in my iPod it said it was already up-to-date. Hummm... any one have a suggestion?

mrwilly123

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
The greyed out Phone driver option under "customize" has been there in every recent version of the iTunes installer.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
scottlinux said:
Gapless playback on my 60GB 5G now works. Thank you apple. Finally.
i haven't tried this yet, but if it's true, i'm basically the happiest person ever.

syklee26

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
no one seems to be pointing out that they got rid of educational pricing for iPods... that's a bummer.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Macrumors said:
- iTunes 7 will confirm if you wish to re-download content, and has a backup utility for backing up your library. Also introduced is a feature called "skip count" which tells you how often you have skipped a song.
This is not new to iTunes 7. This has been in iTunes since practically version 4. Where did you get the idea that this was a new feature?

BTW, the iPod software update 1.2 for video iPods does not appear to give the new Advanced Search function to older 5G iPods.

syklee26 said:
no one seems to be pointing out that they got rid of educational pricing for iPods... that's a bummer.
It's not really that much of a bummer. The max discount you ever got was $30 (I think, not sure if you got more for a $399 model), but with the new models, Apple discounted the highest iPods by $50 instead. So if you buy at full price, you're still paying less than you would have with the educational discount previously.

I don't think the shuffles ever had special educational pricing, and I'm not sure the nanos ever did either.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
syklee26 said:
It is fair to point out that they did drop the price on the big ipods and increased storage on the nanos. Pretty good deal.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
Lertie32 said:
Whoohoo! One of the first replies!

I'm watching the webcast now... already updated iTunes and looks very coool so far!

And... OMG... Steve's wearing a black dress shirt instead of a turtleneck!
:eek:

Anybody know if the new iPod search features are going to work for existing iPods? So far I can't find it on my 60G that I just also updated...
Has anyone else had problems playing back the video? It keeps cutting out audio on me!

Feb 27, 2006
Transfer purchases from iPod + 320kbps

In the file menu, I now have an option (greyed out) for Transfer purchases from iPod...not sure what that means given you can't currently buy stuff direct from your iPod...and pretty sure it wasn't there in Itunes 6...sounds intriguing though!

Also - there a custom option for encoding rates from CD that takes you up to 320 kbps for AAC - can't remember that either in the previous version...

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
simX said:
I don't think the shuffles ever had special educational pricing, and I'm not sure the nanos ever did either.
I think they all had discounts. I know for a fact the nano's did. Not much but they did have a discount.

MacWarriorX

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2004
Anyone else notice that iTunes now has an option to burn CD-TEXT?

It's called "Include CD Text" and is in the burning preferences.