Notes in Mail in Snow Leopard (retail)?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PrincessPeach, Aug 28, 2009.

1. PrincessPeach macrumors regular

Hello

I had recently started using the Notes feature with my iPhone and Mail. When I upgraded to Snow Leopard the notes started sitting in my inbox in Mail as well as in the Notes tab - I can move them manually to another folder but any new ones go back into my inbox. I'm a bit obsessive about keeping my inbox empty - is there a way to change this new behaviour and keep the notes corralled up in the notes section only?

I searched but if other people are having this they're clearly describing it differently to how I see it!

Thanks

2. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I'm not big on notes but I did have one in there and saw the same behavior you're describing after installing SL.

3. PrincessPeach thread starter macrumors regular

Duhh just solved it myself!

For anyone else as silly as me, just go to Mail Preferences, there's a checkbox in each Account setting to store notes in inbox. Unchecking it restores the old behaviour. Whew.

4. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Hey thanks, I was looking to solve this after seeing this "issue" show up.

5. kevbohead macrumors newbie

THANKS for this! It was driving me nuts!

6. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

7. afternoah macrumors newbie

Thanks

Hey Princess Peach,

You're a star.

Just did exactly what you did, got cross cos the notes were stuck in my inbox - typed "snow leopard mail notes inbox" into Google - this page was the top hit and your solution was there.

Sometimes these forums can be irritating, but when they work - they're really useful.

Thanks again.

8. stonefam4 macrumors newbie

Sweet Relief!!!

OMG! Ever since upgrading, this has been driving me INSANE! I would try to move the notes, delete the notes, cut and paste . . . all to no avail! AAAARRRRGGGGGHHH! I'm no tech idiot, so I figured there had to be a bug. Yeah, you have to do a little digging and I wouldn't have placed those options in the behaviors section, but sure enough, there it was. Good job!

Thanks and kudos!:)

9. George Parker macrumors newbie

Thanks!!

It's weird that many people react in the exact same way to this problem. Kind of comforting too. I'm also a bit obsessive about keeping my inbox empty, typed the exact same string of words in..and found the solution. :)
    Thanks so much.

10. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Like many others, I had the same issue and want to thank you for providing the solution here. I just don't know why Apple would want to reset these settings during an upgrade.

11. itlinux4mac macrumors newbie

Hi PrincessPeach,

I can see how clever the genuine solution you found out and I applaud you for this effort. I suffered from the same problem you have gone through with the notes in Mail on SL 10.6.2 and I found your solution, applied it, and the following day I was sync'ing my iPhone again to find that I have 12 notes instead of just 7 again !!! I went back to my MAC to find out that the notes came back to the "All Mail" Inbox's of the two gmail accounts I had notes in two weeks prior to deleting them.

So ... I started diagnosing more closely what was missing ... until I got to find out that after you delete all the notes from the inboxes, change and save the preferences to not show the notes in the inboxes, and clean the Trashes then trying to sync again, this time I have exactly my lovely 7 notes in the "On my Mac" folder. I disconnected my iPhone and just for curiosity I rebooted my computer and looked again at the mailboxes to find out the old notes again ! ...

I am coming from a Linux world, so I removed all mailboxes, and digged into the Library/Mail/ folder and erased (as root) the Mailboxes, .plist files then also removed com.apple.mail.plist from the Preferences then started over again by creating new mail accounts. I could not believe myself when I found the freaking notes again ... Please advice.

Thanks, --

12. berkeleyover macrumors newbie

A year and a half later...

...and this is solved my confusion. Big thanks...

13. bad dolphin macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Just reinstalled Mail and had this problem occur. Thanks for the solution!