Notes stopped syncing?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Julien, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

For some reason Notes stopped syncing. Sometimes I will get the box to conform a sync (but most of the time not). When it does show up and I look at the Notes to be changed it only shows one Note that hasn't been changed. I have tried restarting iTunes, checking/unchecking Sync Notes, and restarting the iPhone. Anyone have any ideas or experiencing this problem?

2. icewing macrumors 6502

Have you tried changing a Note, syncing, and seeing if your change shows up on the computer?

What you describe sounds like a conflict...

3. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Of course. I have tried changing a Note on the iPhone, then on the Mac and then on both. I have tried deleting a Note off the iPhone, then off the Mac and then off both. I have tried creating a new note on the iPhone, on the Mac and on both. It refuses to sync any of these.

So what kind of conflict could there be when you create a new Note on the iPhone and try to sync with the Mac:confused:

4. jer16 macrumors newbie

jer16

Syncing Notes appears to work but when you look in Mail the changes aren't there

1. I get the nice screen tellng me syncing will change more than 5% of my Notes
    2. I can view the details and agree to sync them,
    3. but when I look in Mac Mail in Reminders under Notes, the old text remains.

Luckily the new text is still on the iPhone, so that's something of a relief. :p

If you create a new Note on the iPhone then you get similar symptoms - iTunes syncing gives you the message about conflicts and then the new note doesn't appear at all in Mail.

5. jer16 macrumors newbie

jer16

Curiously it almost works ...

Curiously, iTunes gives "before" and "after" details corresponding to my current and previous changes, NOT the older version that Mail is showing me.

So something is working behind the scenes, it's just not telling the Mac Mail program.

6. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

I rebooted my Mac Pro and it started syncing again. I guess it was having a want to be like Windows episode.

7. jer16 macrumors newbie

jer16

:rolleyes: :p

8. jer16 macrumors newbie

jer16

I decided to experiment a bit. I found that if you are not running MacMail when you connect your iPhone, then although iTunes says it's syncing Notes but it doesn't sync Notes.

It doesn't even sync if you are running MacMail but haven't yet looked at Notes this session. Duh.

:) So to force Notes to sync, run MacMail and open Notes and then get iTunes to Sync again. :)

:cool:

9. jer16 macrumors newbie

jer16

Problem was fixed soon after that

Sorry I meant to say this earlier ... The next release fixed the problem.

Thanks to Apple peeps for sorting this out. I like to think my little bit of detailed analysis published here might have helped them :cool: ...

OK, probably not. :rolleyes: