Notes sync (finally with iCloud)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gianthobbit, Oct 9, 2011.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

In preparation for the new 4S on the way and the amazing new siri service I am evaluating my choice in apps.

Right now I use the amazing SimpleNote to keep organized vs. the native Notes app. Siri can however directly dictate to notes, invaluable...

The current version of notes sync is almost useless. Is there anyway to hack the existing, or any new API perhaps with the release of iCloud that 3rd party developers (or Apple themselves) could plug into?

2. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

My notes app has been syncing with my mail.app on the computer any other iOS device I have since iOS 4.0. This is over the air sync, instantly, to all devices. They also let you change the font to helvetica so that was a huge plus too.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

My notes sync as well... iPhone, iPad and Mail.app on my Mac. I do have a MobileMe account, so I presume those without will have to wait for iCloud.

4. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

I use the native Notes app and mine sync across iPad and iPhone and I do not have MobileMe. It does it through your primary email client, which for me is GMail. You have to enable it in your email settings. There's a setting to sync Mail, Calendars, or Notes...make sure Notes is turned on to sync.

5. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

I totally understand that sync was always there but can you edit the notes on your mac? Thats the kicker and what simple note (using 3rd party native apps) is really really good at.

6. bgro macrumors 6502a

You can definitely edit notes on your Mac. I'm using Lion 10.7.2 GM version and have my iCloud email set up. My notes appear within the inbox (can turn this option off) and in a separate "Notes" section. Can update on my Mac and it's pushed to all my iOS devices (using iCloud).

7. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

i've been doing this since iOS 4.0.

8. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

How exactly do you have that setup? I have a gmail account that is my "icloud" email and its setup with Google Sync (Exchange) so no option to sync notes. Checking it in iCloud account does nothing either.

9. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I have officially turned mail.app into a notes program. Spotlight can even search for notes so this is pretty sweet.

Question, is there anyway to share these notes? Using gMail to do so...

Maybe if I could share the "Notes" label, need to figure this out. Thanks much!

10. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Native notes has synching over MobileMe (and now iCloud). It works with OS X Mail.