Notes won't delete in Mail, what the hell?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wightstraker, Jul 21, 2009.

1. wightstraker macrumors regular

So I've recently migrated back to Mail after a long hiatus and set up my Gmail account with IMAP. I like Mail 3.0, but one bug could be a deal breaker for me:

I don't like the notes feature and don't plan to use it. However, there are four mystery notes that keep reappearing in my Reminders. I don't remember creating them, and whenever I delete them they reappear about 5 minutes later. They are all blank and always have the same timestamp, too. I've tried junking them, I've tried deleting the Notes mailbox itself, even deleting it on google's end.

Where are these notes coming from? Why won't they stay deleted? It's very frustrating.

Attached Files:

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

You don't happen to use keyboard shortcuts? You might be creating them by accident, anyway if you don't use notes just turn it off in the preferences...

3. wightstraker thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think I'm creating new notes this way because they always have the same time stamp - it's the same notes that keep reappearing.

I didn't think you could disable them. Where is this done in the preferences?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I dont think you can disable them.

For curiosity's sake, in Mail->Preferences->Composing. What does it say next to "Create Notes & To Do's in"?

5. wightstraker thread starter macrumors regular

I have it set to "On My Mac." It was originally set to create notes on my gmail account but I switched it thinking that IMAP syncing might be responsible. Everything is clear on gmail's end but the notes keep reappearing anyway.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Ok.

Then, quit mail.

Navigate to ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Notes.mbox/Messages/

and delete everything in there.

Restart mail.

7. wightstraker thread starter macrumors regular

That's a good idea, but it looks like it didn't work. Now I have notes that don't erase at all - they just grey out when I try to delete them.

This is getting pretty irritating. Is there anything else I can do, or should I just go back to using my browser?

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Since you are using IMAP, all your info is on the server.
    So what I would do i delete your account from mail, clear out the ~/Library/Mail folder and then try setting up again.

9. anonymoose1117 macrumors newbie

I found something that worked for me

I had a similar problem and this worked for me:

Access your gmail account online, find the note or notes (I had two in the "All Mail" folder that showed up as four or five notes in Mail for some reason), then move them to the trash, then go to the trash and empty the trash (Google seems to hate throwing things away ;~) From now on, the notes should stay "on your Mac"...

10. powers74 macrumors 68000

powers74

Notes

Yes, This has been working for me, I believe this is the solution.