Notes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Indydenny, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Not sure if this is new but Notes in my Apple Mail are now automatically syncing to the iPhone.

This had not been working for me before. It's great to be able to carry my notes with me.

My To Do's from Apple Mail are also syncing automatically now. Not sure what changed. Sorry if this is old news but none of this has worked for me before today.

2. chaseardoin7 macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

oh, wow. i didn't even know that was possible.
    can't wait to get home and try it.

chase :apple:

3. rje macrumors regular

I don't mean to doubt you, but I don't think so. If you do a restore with iTunes, and it asks if you want to sync your backed up iPhone, then it will definitely put your memos or notes back on the iPhone, if they were part of the backup. But for straight syncing, it can't be doing notes. There's no option to sync notes. Where is iTunes putting those notes from your phone? No. I wish it were true, but no.

4. Indydenny thread starter macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Well, Actually Yes . . .

Yes, it works fine and I'm using it -- but I certainly didn't explain it very well so I understand your doubt.

Let me try again:

You need to be in the Apple Mail program (not the Note Pad in iPhone). When you create a note in the Apple Mail --or a To Do -- the next time you open Mail in the phone your notes and To Dos are there!

Now, in some ways I would prefer the syncing to the notepad but on the other hand, my Mail program is always open and available. I don't need to send the note as an email. I just create it and close it and it automatically syncs with my phone.

I DO have a .mac account and so maybe this is necessary.

This is helpful to me as there are many notes and lists that I like to carry. I don't see a way to sort them or file them -- but at least they are there.

Make sense?

5. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

This happens on my iphone too, I use notes in mail and have a .mac account

6. rje macrumors regular

Yes so your notes are not in the Notes App. they're in the Mail App. Right? I was aware of this. It's a decent workaround. Mark Space now has Missing Sync for iPhone. I won't sync notes from the phone to iTunes, but, once you have a set of Notes on the phone, it will back it up, and keep it there.

7. Indydenny thread starter macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Yes, that's correct. I assumed that this was not new but it wasn't working for me until today. Not sure what changed -- but I like it!

8. rje macrumors regular

I manually entered my important notes into the Notes app. When I upgraded to 1.1.4 and did a jailbreak and unlock, I first did a restore on iTunes. That gave me back my notes when I went back to iTunes after the jailbreak.