NoteShelf vs. UPad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by El3ctronics, Apr 4, 2011.

1. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

These two seem to be the two best apps for taking handwritten notes on an iPad. I downloaded UPad yesterday and seem to really like it but I'm curious what people who have used both think and how they compare. If you've used both, can you give a quick comparison and explain why you like a specific one over the other? Thanks!

2. Steven.C macrumors member

I think UPad is better since it stores your handwriting in vector format.

3. Treebark macrumors member

Treebark

Noteshelf's ink isn't as smooth as upad's, though I like file management in noteshelf a lot better.

Don't discount Note Taker HD, it is a great app. I had picked it over the several others I have tried but now use it along with upad. If all I need is inking/writing, I grap upad. If I need shapes or lines I grab Note Taker HD.

4. El3ctronics thread starter macrumors 65816

I tried Note Taker HD and the user interface is so hideous and cumbersome that I couldn't get myself to use it after a week.

5. Treebark macrumors member

Treebark

While I wouldn't go nearly as far as you, uPad's UI is nicer than Note Taker HD. I have become accustomed to NTHD's UI so it isn't in the way. But really, none of the apps I have seen for notetaking truly get out of your way or seem intuitive with the iPad's UI.

NoteShelf's shelf analogy is nice, but I would still go with the better inking of uPad (and do obviously).

6. Xultar, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I don't get why everyone loves UPad. Yes you can type in it but it is also very cumbersome. UPad also lacks the ease of use and fun factor. why do you have to tap to bring up the palm rest area?

Penultimate is the best in terms of smooth writing but I love Noteshelf 's UI and it has dropbox which pushes it over UPad for me.

I tried the free version of Upad and I just couldn't get into it.