Notetaking app with audio/text synchronization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jonesbird, Jun 24, 2009.

1. jonesbird macrumors newbie

Hey all, I'm looking for a program I can use to record lectures that synchronizes with my typing. I know Word has this feature, or something like it, but I really despise that program. I am looking for the word processing equivalent of the livescribe Pen The main function I want is to be able to replay the audio recording from the point where I entered text. I know there must be another app besides word that does this. Thanks!

2. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

You might want to look at Notebook from Circus Ponies.

It has this feature, and a lot else...

3. jonesbird thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded that and was unable to find the functionality that I'm looking for. Pear notes has what I'm looking for, but it's a relatively bare bones option. If there is anything else like this out there, I'd love to know about it.

4. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

You have to go to Menu -> Page -> Speech Annotation

Download the handbook for Notebook. It explains it very well.

5. jonesbird thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that. What it does is associate an entire block of text with a recording. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't seem to get what I want out of it. I'm looking for something that assigns a time stamp for each character entered; allowing you to search the recording by clicking on a particular point in the text, and that also highlights or underlines the text as it is typed along with the recording. The Livescribe pen does this, but I want to type, not write. Pear notes also does this, but I feel like it is still too new, and the feature set doesn't justify the price. I'm really just spoiled by Pages, and I want something that has that kind of polish to it. Notebook v3.0 certainly has the polish, just not the key feature I'm looking for

I'll probably end up dropping $40 on Pear Notes since it does EXACTLY what I'm asking for. Just pisses me off that there isn't even basic outline support right now for it.

If you still think I'm wrong about Notebook's voice annotation, let me know. I could be missing something that's in plain sight.

6. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

You have to enter your text mode in List-Mode (cmd-l), not paragraph mode. In this way you get a separate speaker symbol for every bullet-point that is synchronized with the time you created the bullet point. When you play the audio the individual speaker symbols highlight, so you have a good guess where you are.
    (See the quick transcript of the CD in my CD-Player)

I don't know your requirements. If you need to syncronize each and every character this obviously is not enough. The feature is quite new in Notebook 3.0. Maybe you could ask the developers how they plan to evolve it...

Attached Files: