Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
That seems to be the general consensus from a lot of the owners posting, but I thought the other issue was that the viewing angle of your screen combined with the grain made it so horrible.

So if Apple also says that grain is normal and won't help you there, can you not pursue on the grounds that your screen is faulty because of the really limited angles?

I forget the forum member who did this, but they took photos of the MB screen vs the MBP screen at various angles, and it really highlighted the difference between the two models.. You said that your instructions MBP screen was a lot better than yours at various angles. If you took pics like that one member did, it should be pretty apparent to Ms. Beach that something is really wrong with your MBP.

You actually raised something that i noticed the other day.

For a long long while I have always thought that the right side of my display is dimmer than the left. So, the other day I was sitting with my desk squarely in front of my laptop and I looked at it again, and turns out that it isn't true. It was only after a while when I realised what exactly was happening.

Most of the time when I use my notebook I have it either on my bed or my couch, and it happens that because of the way I sit (well I tuck my left foot under my right leg in case you are curious), it made the right side of the computer sag down just so slightly, and that tiny difference in viewing angle made me think that the right side of my display is dimmer.

However if you look down squarely at every point of the display it is pretty much evenly lit, but when you are using it and looking into it perpendicular to the the centre, the extreme edges of it may be of differing distance from you, and that's the cause of the uneven brightness complaints.

Next time you see a 15" MBP that seem to have a dim corner, try moving your head so that it is right over that corner. You will find that the apparent dimness just vanishes.

My $0.02.

You are probably right about taking side by side photos and then emailing the pictures back and forth and raise up a big stink to get it fixed, but then again some other MR members have posted pictures of their so-called flawless displays "with a single dead pixel" and are so happy with it, so I guess I will just take one for the team this time round. After all it is not like this is the first time I've spent big money on something that I am not entirely happy with. I have spent more money on worse PC laptops before, and apart from the screen (and the stupid lid that needs a bit of bending from time to time to correct the warp) I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Hence the love-hate in my sig, on one hand it is great. But on the other hand I can't say without reservation that I am absolutely satisfied with it, so the final verdict is I am very pleased with it, with some reservations.

MaaseyRacer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
San Francisco, Ca.
I see some grain on my new macbook pro when my face is 3-6 inches from the screen. However, my face is never that close for me to care. I could care less, it is by far the best looking Apple Notebook display I have seen. This coming from someone who has owned 6 different Apple notebooks in the last year and a half.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I see some grain on my new macbook pro when my face is 3-6 inches from the screen. However, my face is never that close for me to care. I could care less, it is by far the best looking Apple Notebook display I have seen. This coming from someone who has owned 6 different Apple notebooks in the last year and a half.

I typically position my head almost 18 inches or so from my screen, and I can see the grain perfectly.

If I load up a photo with skin tones, and drag the window of the application containing the window around... bingo. It is ridiculously obvious. Hurrah to screenwide artifacts.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
In fact use this very Zune's error message dialog picture that made me notice just how bad it is, open it in preview and move the window around slowly.

The flaw makes the screen completely worthless if you even need to do the most unprofessional photo work.

Attachments

• zune1.jpg
    zune1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 131

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
So you got a free upgrade? ;)

Man I really have to move to the States at some point, doubt the engineers outside of the US "capture" any machines.

I wish it had been a free upgrade. I paid the difference. I figured that they wouldn't even let me do that. Cost me $300 to move up. Had the 15"C2D about 8 weeks. i figured that for $300 I got a 160gb drive up from 120, bigger screen, faster drive? Extra USB port. I think???
When I saw the difference in the screen quality the 17 had over my 15 I was sold. I am really pleased. I have a CD Macbook Pro 15" I take to work so this 17 generally stays home which is good as I have no bag for it:)

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I wish it had been a free upgrade. I paid the difference. I figured that they wouldn't even let me do that. Cost me $300 to move up. Had the 15"C2D about 8 weeks. i figured that for $300 I got a 160gb drive up from 120, bigger screen, faster drive? Extra USB port. I think???
When I saw the difference in the screen quality the 17 had over my 15 I was sold. I am really pleased. I have a CD Macbook Pro 15" I take to work so this 17 generally stays home which is good as I have no bag for it:)

Once you make the comparison between the two the 15" really looks crap right?

I can't believe such a machine is "within specs", if that's the case Apple's specifications suck what is amusing is how Apple keeps using "within specs" like some sort of catchall excuse for all of the recent QC troubles. It may be within specs but are the specs themselves within specs?

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast

I can't believe such a machine is "within specs", if that's the case Apple's specifications suck what is amusing is how Apple keeps using "within specs" like some sort of catchall excuse for all of the recent QC troubles. It may be within specs but are the specs themselves within specs?

Well crap might be a bit strong but I do agree that it is grainy the 15

aaronb

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
I'm really not seeing the grain on the pictures that everyone has been talking about.

I ordered a MBP sometime early December and has been under the Christmas tree since about the 7th. Needless to say, I'm a little concerned about if this "grain" that everyone is talking about is THAT bad.

spookje

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2006
What do you guys mean with grainy screen? Do you mean like the noise filter in PhotoShop? I have some squares in in the display but that are the pixel squares. In white ares it appears to have some blueish parts, but I have that on my Acer, HP and Sony computers. I think that this is a normal thing for LCD displays.

spookje

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2006
I am just asking what you guys and girls are meaning with 'griany screen'. I do see the crappy gradients issue. But not really the grainy screen.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I am just asking what you guys and girls are meaning with 'griany screen'. I do see the crappy gradients issue. But not really the grainy screen.

If it doesn't bug you it is best that you do not explicitly try to look for it.

Try looking at a region of your screen with a solid colour from your normal viewing distance, it should be fairly visible. Or you can just read the whole thread, and open an image file with a photo and move the window around the screen, you will see crawling ants over your entire photo as you move the window.

Every LCD has grain to some degree yes, but for a 15" to have them visible from almost 1.5 feet is a bit insane.

So GO already!

Sheesh! Then we wouldn't have to hear your endless b*tching about how terrible Apple is for another month (at 12+ posts/day)!

:p

iBorg

My posts are shattering your delusions?

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Funny how some fanbois jump to Apple's defence like they are on their payroll.

To emphasis again I have no issue with Apple. This year I even spent in excess of 6K on their equipment, yeah... I hate Apple alright. Yes, me Dull user trolling on Apple forums :rolleyes:

To deny that their screen is of questionable quality is just intellectual dishonesty, and if you are not prepared to be totally honest with yourself don't rely on other MR members for therapy, go see your own shrink and bear the costs yourself.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England

Looking at them more or less side by side at the Apple Store, you can certainly see the difference. Though most of my needs are audio and the screen is not my top priority, I still wouldn't purchase a 15" until they sort this out.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Looking at them more or less side by side at the Apple Store, you can certainly see the difference. Though most of my needs are audio and the screen is not my top priority, I still wouldn't purchase a 15" until they sort this out.

Even the Macbook's screen is better than the 15" model in many respects.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Below Dell quality

I actually came upon this thread on Dell's support forums when searching more on the issue of grainy displays not specific to Macs.

link

"Shimmery effect"
"Murkiness"
"Out of focus"
"Dirty"

Seems like we've got the exact same problem with the displays we getting on the 15". What did struck me however are posts saying that is even worse than what Dell has been delivering in the past. I guess it is now official, Apple is no better than yesterday's Dell.

By the way, for what Apple's number 1 ranked after sales support is worth, Dell's engineers have been fairly diligent in replacing customer's displays, even though it did not much good. What did Apple do?

"It's within specifications"

Edit: on the upside the Dell D620 when customized to have similar specifications to the 2.33ghz MBP costs no less than the Mac, so I guess going by the mantra of getting what you paid for, since the Mac is no more expensive than the Dell, then we really can't demand more of the Mac than from the Dell.

drb6

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2005
Boston, MA
Even the Macbook's screen is better than the 15" model in many respects.

glad i found this thread. i was about to buy an mbp from the refurb store in a few days...since there was only a few hundred $ difference between the 15" and the black mb.

and now I don't know what i'll do...i need a good screen for my photoshop work. maybe i'll have to go for the mb and get an external screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.