Nothing happens after login

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bswinnerton, Jun 30, 2009.

1. bswinnerton macrumors newbie

I was just running some updates (not sure if it had anything to do with it), and after I rebooted, I couldn't get past the login screen. I can enter my username and password and then the login screen goes away. But then I just have my mouse and the Leopard background.

When trying to run a disk permission from the CD it freezes.

Any ideas?

2. celticpride678

Have you tried to run Repair Disk?

3. bswinnerton thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, the disk appears to be OK.

4. celticpride678

5. bswinnerton thread starter macrumors newbie

Well there is a catch with that :)

I have rEFIt installed and also enabled verbose mode on every startup with cocktail. So whenever I try to hold the apple s key combination, it's ignored and goes straight to the login screen. (I'm not sure which of the two is causing the problem, but my best is with cocktail).

Is there any way to disable the setting I made in cocktail even though I can't log in? Or to change the file using an in-terminal editor that cocktail changes to make it boot into verbose mode every time?

6. celticpride678

I'm not really sure. Someone else will have to help with that. Sorry:(

7. bswinnerton thread starter macrumors newbie

No problem! Thanks for your interest though.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

bswinnerton actually suggested safe mode (hold down shift during boot) not single user mode (command-S during boot).

Since we've established that single user mode is a no-go for you, have you tried safe mode?

9. bswinnerton thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried safe boot. (You have to hold the shift key really quick after you select the OS in rEFIt). But no luck in safe mode either :(

10. cheapandjuicy macrumors newbie

Hi, I was just wondering if you managed to solve this problem? I'm experiencing the same thing, I just installed some updates as well and now I can't get past the login window :(

11. WWJBD macrumors newbie

Please Please Help...

Hey guys, the same damn thing is happening to me. I'm really hoping someone can help me out here. It's 2:00 in the morning and I NEED to be working on my machine right now, but I can't.

I have a 24" iMac. I installed the latest SL update, and after the obligatory restart, it has now been frozen on the blank loading screen for almost a hour. Just the default SL desktop background with the eternal pinwheel. When not touched, the screen saver comes on, but that's all.

Somebody PLEASE help, preferably as soon as possible, I'm desperate! Thanks in advance.