Nothing I do now loads thanks to Quicktime

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iPowers, Jul 26, 2007.

1. iPowers macrumors 6502

For some reason, I upgraded with quicktime and now nothing will load. I can't watch youtube videos or do anything I want because quicktime won't work. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What version of quicktime? 7.2? Are you on Safari 3, Safari 2, Firefox 2, or other? And what version of Flash do you have installed?

3. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

no idea about the flash and quicktime is latest. Just this morning it worked great until I updated, now it won't work. mozilla said to switch from streaming with quicktime to something else but that won't work either.

IT loads on safari and Opera, but doesn't work on Firefox, Netscape, and probably won't work in Camino.

4. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to bump this topic, but I also found out that the flash will not work in Mozilla Related programs, such as Firefox, Netscape, and Camino, however if I use Opera or Safari, it works fine.

Mozilla said you can switch it from quicktime and ue something else, like real player, and other stuff, but I couldn't get that to work either, but does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Anything that worked for you guys would be wonderful. :)

5. wvtbred macrumors member

6. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

hhmmmmmm this is odd?! I'm running Firefox just fine with various video sites that uses flash such as YOUTUBE, DAILYMOTION, and such. The only site I am having video problems is with the Qt/trailer site. I will see if the new Qt update will work.
    I have not tried to see if I get the same problem with Safari even though I bearly use it, but for this situation I will run it tonight to see if I can help!!
    Will Rply ltr!!!
    Good luck to all!!!

:apple:

7. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Open System Preferences and select the QuickTime and click the Advanced tab.

Make sure "Enable Flash" is UN-checked. Close System Preferences, close your web browser and reopen it and try YouTube again.

8. neckface macrumors newbie

neckface

hi every one i just browsed through here with the same problem and tried the link and happy to say it worked!!! thanx for all your input, i'm new to mac and would be lost without you lot!!!!:)

9. wvtbred macrumors member

I still cant get Flip4Mac to work and will occasionally see the Quicktime ?

Do I have to use Quicktime? I would prefer to just get rid of it altogether and use WMP through Flip4Mac if I can get it to work.

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, QT is default, by no means its the "only one", or "best", or "have to use it" :D

You can use VLC, it plays wmv w/o need of flip4mac
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

11. wvtbred macrumors member

OK first it doesn't work and now I can't delete it, thanks a hell of a lot. I thought Mac users were different from th MS crowd obviously I am wrong.

12. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

VLC Player is awseome but it doesn't work for online situations, does it?

Either way I just reinstalled the flash and I am fine now.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You can watch (or broadcast) streams with it, but I don't think there's a plugin for Mac browsers.
    Flip4Mac is just a plugin for QuickTime, not a standalone player. You could delete the QuickTime player app, but I would strongly recommend not messing about with the QuickTime framework.
    What can't you delete? If it's VLC, you should be able to just drag it to the trash.
    :confused: