Nothing is Clickable or Selectable

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jetheat, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Jetheat macrumors regular

I was simply chatting online and I had a few applications open (such as Entourage and Skype and Firefox) when all of a sudden, I couldn't select anything with my mouse.

I couldn't even click on the menu at the top.

Although my mouse moves the cursor, it can't select anything.

The whole system froze. I could only do stuff with my arrow keys which is fairly limited.

What happened and how can I avoid it?

So I pressed CTRL and Eject to shut down the iMac.

Upon restarting, I'm stuck on the login page because when I click on my user account, nothing happens. The password entry box does not appear thereby indicating that it's still in that "Stuck" state.

How do I fix this?

Appreciate the help,

JH

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Maybe a bust mouse? Try it with a different computer. If you get the same issue, then the buttons are probably gone.

3. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Do you have a Wireless Mighty Mouse? What you describe happens to me sometimes and I have to turn mine off and back on again to get things back to normal.

Bluetooth sucks. It has to be one of the crappiest and most fragile protocols ever devised.

4. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, when I turned my Mighty Mouse on and off again, it started working.

If I take it back to the apple store, will they replace it for a different make?

JH

5. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

My wireless mighty mouse does that too, it's one of the joys of the wireless. It's not too big of an issue, because it only takes a few seconds to restart.

6. bananaquit macrumors member

I had the same problem. After talking it over with Apple, I repositioned the batteries in the mouse and all was back to normal. This has happened a couple times now. I was relieved that it was that simple, but also surprised that it was a mouse that gave me a fright.