Nothing is working?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by haithurmiranda, Apr 20, 2010.

1. haithurmiranda macrumors newbie

okay so basically what i did was modify the system files to change my menu bar but i was dumb and didn't back up the original files so i came on here and someone uploaded the system files from their computer and i replaced the modified ones with those and restarted my computer and now everything is crashing.

(i'm on a different computer right now)

so i probably need to reformat, but i don't know how to do that? i know how to do it in finder but i can't get to finder so i have to find a way to do it from the restore disk if that's possible.

do i just erase the hard drive and install the OS?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can pop in the gray restore DVD number 1 and choose Disk Utility from the Utilities in the Menu Bar and then erase the HDD and then continue with the installation.

Many, many guides are out there for a more detailed approach.
    Search for "snow leopard erase and install".

3. haithurmiranda thread starter macrumors newbie

are snow leopard and normal leopard pretty much the same thing?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't really understand?

SL is Mac OS X 10.6, Leopard is Mac OS X 10.5, so it's like Windows NT to Windows 2000 or Windows XP to Windows Vista, but more like Windows 6 (Vista) to Windows 6.1 (Seven).

SL has more under the hood changes than visual ones.

But the ERASE AND INSTALL works different with SL than with Leopard, thus my advice to search for it if you're interested in that.

5. haithurmiranda thread starter macrumors newbie

do you have SL?

that's probably why the files didn't work

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, I have Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.3). You have Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)? Hmm, I thought as you just registered and dabbled with the OS* you might have Snow Leopard as it is out since August 2009.

* something many users new to Mac OS X do**, me included - but stop when they realize, that it is not really necessary and does seldom bring any advantage.

** trying to change the visual appearance

7. haithurmiranda thread starter macrumors newbie

nooo i've had my mac since like, january of 2009.

i guess i probably should have specified. haha.

i only just registered because i'm not a big forum person.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Next time you know better. How do we learn otherwise anyway.

I deleted .dll files in Windows 3.1 without knowing what they were there for. I learnt my lesson and switched to Mac OS X, ten years later.

And I have still the ability to frell up computer systems anyway. I could walk into a room with Linux boxes and suddenly one would crash. That's why I don't go out as often anymore. ;)