Nothing new for iMac.....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mark Morb, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. Mark Morb macrumors regular

    Mark Morb

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2007
    Location:
    Norfolk
    #1
    ...so I'll be placing my order tomorrow, it was worth hanging on just in case....can't wait.
     
  2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

    Dimwhit

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
  3. sailortena macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    #3
    I am waiting to place my order for a new iMac until next month. It is possible Apple can do a "discreet" processor boost, since they pretty much do that every six weeks, and it is about 30 days from end of cycle when they refresh the product, according to the Buyer's Guide.
     
  4. Mark Morb thread starter macrumors regular

    Mark Morb

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2007
    Location:
    Norfolk
    #4
    I've done enough waiting...been waiting since mid December.

    I want the 2.8GHz machine, but I think it would be better/cheaper to buy a 2.4Ghz and upgrade the processor. That way I can upgrade the memory afterwards through Crucial. Not bothered about the 500GB HDD as I have plenty of external storage I intend to use, 360GB installed is fine...in fact if I add the wireless keyboard and Mouse, upgrade the processor, then buy 4Gb Ram from crucial it still comes to about £40 less than buying the 2.8Ghz from Apple...plus I can sell my 1GB Ram, tomorrow is ordering day :)

    (Shame I'll have to wait upwards of 2 weeks for it though :rolleyes:)
     
  5. signatus macrumors member

    signatus

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2008
    Location:
    Andalucía, Spain
    #5
    new iMac due date

    When do you expect a new rev of iMacs will come out? I can still wait for a month or a month and a half. Should I wait or do I plunge into buying one now?
     
  6. Chris204 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    #6
    I placed my order for a 20" a few hours ago after the keynote. Already updated my signature too. I can't wait! :D
     
  7. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    #7
    Nevermind.

    In any case, enjoy your new machines everyone! :D
     
  8. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

    MrT8064

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    Hi, up to you what you do...

    just thought i would say: play.com are doing Kingston 2gb chips for £28inc p+p, mine should arrive tomorrow :D

    i think crucial is more like £50?
     
  9. Morod macrumors 68000

    Morod

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2008
    Location:
    On The Nickel, over there....
    #9
    I had my fingers crossed for an iMac upgrade. Oh well. I can't wait much longer either. My PC running 98SE is so bad I haven't turned it off in a while because it may not come back up. I'll be hitting the Apple Store Friday. Looking at a 24" 2.4 GHz model. The Crucial RAM is already on its way, as is the G-Tech 800 f/w external drive. The new Time Capsule looks nice, but I prefer wires. I'm just like that :D.
    All in all, it is still one fine machine, the iMac is.
    Morod
     
  10. overcast macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    Location:
    Rochester, NY
    #10
    Who in their right mind is still running 98.
     
  11. luffx macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Location:
    WI
    #11
    I believe he is saying that he will configure the 2.4GHz w/ a 2.8GHz, not buy a separate processor.
     
  12. kimbobjones macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    #12
    Bittersweet iMac Order

    I will be ordering my first Mac tonight also. The 24" 2.4 + 4gb.
    I bit the bullet recently finally made the decision to purchase my first mac and retire my 3yr old PC, but a good friend of mine said, "At least wait for the keynote."
    So I did. In the meantime I did some research about buying cycles and joined the forums for an insight into other peoples purchasing decisions etc. As I gathered the general consensus was there was to be no iMac update at Keynote. But I still waited and as you all know nothing happened.
    I will not wait until the next product update until I 'Switch' because it seems there are people who get stuck waiting for something that may never happen for weeks and even months when they need their new mac now not later.
    -To the waiters, I do not criticise your choice to do this I empathise as I can see why you do.
    Because although I am eager to buy my new iMac and enjoy everything it has to offer there will be a bitter feeling of uncertainity that a product update may lie just around the corner and I will miss out on squeezing that little bit extra for the same cash - perhaps even for less cash. And the day it happens,and it will whether it be next week or in six months will annoy me. Not much but a little.
    Not enough to stop me from ordering tonight.
    I guess it is somthing I will have to get used to.
    I am not trying to tell you all something you don't already know, just sharing my thoughts. Cheers.
     
  13. mini/mac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #13
    you'll love it for sure.
    It has been AMAZING to me =)
     
  14. Morod macrumors 68000

    Morod

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2008
    Location:
    On The Nickel, over there....
    #14
    Ummm, that would be me. Want a real laugh? The machine it's running on has a 500 MHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, and a 16 MB graphics card. I gotta say, Gateway made a good machine about 10 years ago when I bought this one new. So I should see quite a difference when I get the iMac. At least I have a fiber connection to the web, 5 MB/sec both up and down.
    Morod
     
  15. Chris204 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    #15
    Don't buy the RAM from Apple. You can get 4gb for $95.00 online.
     
  16. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

    Dimwhit

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #16
    So a little over a year ago, I was ready to buy an iMac, but I wanted to wait for Macworld '07 for the update everyone was sure would come. It didn't. So I thought...well, I can wait until March or April. It will come by then. It didn't. I didn't end up getting an iMac until after they were announced in August.

    It's smart to just buy now, or you could end up waiting much longer than necessary. Like I did.
     
  17. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #17
    I made enquiries about upgrading the processors in the iMac's and it's not possible because the processors are soldered to the motherboard/logic board.

    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
     
  18. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

    Dimwhit

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #18
    I think he means he's going to select the 2.4 in the Apple Store and do a BTO upgrade to the 2.8 processor. It's cheaper doing that and buying your own RAM.
     
  19. midorix macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2007
    #19
    Whoo whoo...I beat you :).

    I was running PIII 500 MHZ processor with 256MB of RAM (=Max) and a 8 MB graphics card (8 year old Sony Vaio Desktop). I upgraded to 2.8GHZ 24" Imac and installed OWC 4GB RAM in December. Holly smokes!

    I'm now making phrases as "I can open two applications at once?", " I don't have to wait 15 minutes to boot as Microsoft installs these after the fact patches accumulated over 8 years?", "no more 1x speed on burning CDs?"

    You'll be amazed with the Imac:D
     
  20. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #20
    I didn't know that was cheaper, I'll look into that for when I buy mine :D Thanks
     
  21. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

    themoonisdown09

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #21
    Well... I said I was waiting until MacWorld to see if there were updates. No updates came, so I just bought one.

    - 24 inch iMac
    - 2.8 GHz Extreme
    - 750 GB hard drive
    - 1 GB RAM (I will be getting 4GB of RAM from OWC)

    I really don't want to wait any longer because it could be until the summer until it gets updated. If it happens in the next 14 days, I will be canceling my order and getting that one... but that would be highly unlikely.

    I think I will also buy the TimeCapsule in the next couple of weeks (probably the 500GB version).
     
  22. fivepoint macrumors 65816

    fivepoint

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2007
    Location:
    IOWA
    #22
    I've been waiting for the update as well:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=406112

    ...but i think I am going to stick it out and wait for the forthcoming updates. I will be happy as long as it happens in February. If it takes longer than that, I'm going to be wishing I had bought it today after the Keynote.

    What do you guys think?
     
  23. gvg45 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    #23
    My exact steps I took when I bought my iMac. I'm a very happy camper!
     
  24. rediffusion macrumors regular

    rediffusion

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2006
    Location:
    Fairfield, CT
    #24
    So as quoted above the Buyer's Guide says:
    "Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle
    Days Since Update: 161 (Avg = 185)"


    So what are the chances of an upgrade in the next month? The last one was a significant overhaul so firstly is an upgrade imminent and if so, what could we expect? I too am itching to buy an iMac but am tempted to wait a few more weeks. I would really appreciate any savvy advice.

    thanks,
    R ;)
     
  25. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

    Dimwhit

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #25
    I wouldn't take much stock in that. The last one went over 350 days between cycles, if I remember correctly.
     

Share This Page