Nothing open but only 10mb free of ram?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by crizza0309, Nov 22, 2013.

1. crizza0309 macrumors regular

i only have chrome open right now with one tab and its showing 10mb free of ram? I have 8 total GBs of ram. any idea whats wrong? i downloaded memory cleaner from the app store and it will clean it to 4gb of free ram but after 10 minutes it goes back down to 10mbs. heres my activity monitor

Attached Files:

2. damidget macrumors regular

3. crizza0309 thread starter macrumors regular

ya but even with itunes and messages open that should be over 7 gbs? im not even playing a song in itunes.

4. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

In mavericks it will always say that all of your RAM is in use, even though it isn't. It is called memory compression and it actually helps speed up your mac.

5. crizza0309 thread starter macrumors regular

interesting...... how ofted should I use memory cleaner?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to use it at all. OS X will manage memory without requiring 3rd party apps.

7. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Don't. Really. It gives you false sense of speediness while everything gets pages to disk or flushed. The RAM is basically a cache and gets filled for a reason.

8. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Stoovie is correct. Get. Rid. Of. It. Now.

The best thing to decide how your memory should be used in Mavericks is the operating system. If you try to circumvent that, you are not improving anything and possibly doing the exact opposite.

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

People don't seem to realize that OS X manages RAM very differently from Windows: OS X's key tenet of memory management is that free RAM = wasted RAM, implying that anything that can be cached in RAM should be cached in RAM. This policy results in Activity Monitor reporting very little free RAM, as you're seeing, but it is also the reason why a "cold launch" of an application takes far more "Dock bounces" than a "warm launch" - after the application's been launched once already since the last reboot.