• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

crizza0309

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
i only have chrome open right now with one tab and its showing 10mb free of ram? I have 8 total GBs of ram. any idea whats wrong? i downloaded memory cleaner from the app store and it will clean it to 4gb of free ram but after 10 minutes it goes back down to 10mbs. heres my activity monitor

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 12.37.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 12.37.07 AM.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 142

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
In mavericks it will always say that all of your RAM is in use, even though it isn't. It is called memory compression and it actually helps speed up your mac.

Comment

crizza0309

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
In mavericks it will always say that all of your RAM is in use, even though it isn't. It is called memory compression and it actually helps speed up your mac.

interesting...... how ofted should I use memory cleaner?

Comment

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010

Don't. Really. It gives you false sense of speediness while everything gets pages to disk or flushed. The RAM is basically a cache and gets filled for a reason.

Comment

LV426

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2013

Stoovie is correct. Get. Rid. Of. It. Now.

The best thing to decide how your memory should be used in Mavericks is the operating system. If you try to circumvent that, you are not improving anything and possibly doing the exact opposite.

Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
People don't seem to realize that OS X manages RAM very differently from Windows: OS X's key tenet of memory management is that free RAM = wasted RAM, implying that anything that can be cached in RAM should be cached in RAM. This policy results in Activity Monitor reporting very little free RAM, as you're seeing, but it is also the reason why a "cold launch" of an application takes far more "Dock bounces" than a "warm launch" - after the application's been launched once already since the last reboot.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.