Nothing will print...Please advise

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by agentphish, Mar 11, 2008.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Hello-

So 2 days ago I was able to print from my G5 to either of my HP printers (Deskjet 9800 and Photosmart 7550) w/o any issues. PDF's, JPG's, TXT, DOC, all printed fine.

Additionally i was able to print to these via the network from my powerbook or my fiancee's powerbook.

Last night we went to print a PDF created in InDesign, and could not print anything at all to either printer. The problem was the same whether we tried to print from our powerbooks or put the file onto the G5 and go upstairs to it and try printing it from there.

NOTHING will print.

I have tried restting the printing system (option in printer setup utility), deleting the apple print plist file, reinstalling drivers for both printers, plugging the printers into different USB ports (which I know are not fried because other devices work fine)

I can't figure out why this happened or what could have happened to cause this. The machine has been sitting untouched in sleep mode for the last 2 days.

The machine is a single processor 1.8ghz G5 w/ 1gb of ram running 10.4.11

Suggestions?!

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Stupid question, i know, but have you restarted the computer and zapped the PRAM?

3. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

yeah... restarted many times last night.

I didn't zap pram, didn't really think that'd matter that much after resetting the printing ssytem and killing the plist files...

4. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Did you try completly removing all printers (I mean every driver, every plist, every instance of a printer) and then try reinstalling them like they were new?

5. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

6. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Well that is super strange, I don't know what to tell you...

7. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

i guess i'll try installing Leopard tonight and see how I make out.

8. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

So I wiped and did a Leopard install, with NO printer drivers installed.

I installed all of my programs and did the printers last. Leopard must've fixed everything I guess.

The Deskjet 9800D works fine no problem now. Quite strange I don't know what happened. However, my Photosmart 7550 is "no longer supported" in Leopard because its an "older printer" according to HP.

Anyone have a solution?

Lovely.

9. seeker777 macrumors member

seeker777

10. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

That was going to be my task tonight when i got home, hop on apple support forums and see if anyone had it.
    Thanks