Nothing works on my Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PalacePlayers, Apr 29, 2013.

1. PalacePlayers macrumors regular

I bought a 2TB Time Capsule, thinking this was the backup that "just works". It has been a true nightmare. Everytime it is supposed to backup, it just says "backup postponed" in the menu bar. And when I manually try to initiate a backup, it will not connect to the Time Capsule disk. A red icon appears in the Time Capsule settings menu, saying it can't connect to the Time Capsule disk.
    I've tried soft reset, hard reset and even restore to factory settings countless times. Nothing seems to work in this thing. It plain just won't connect to my MacBook anymore.

When I try to open my previous backups (from january, which was the last time this thing decided to backup), I get an error message, telling me that the operation cannot be completed, error message -6586.

Is there any way I can completely wipe out EVERYTHING and start all over with this Time Capsule? When I factory reset the thing, it doesn't seem to delete everything on the disk, which I guess is my only hope with this thing.

I'm using 10.8.3 on a MacBook Pro Retina 15". Time Capsule runs on the latest firmware.

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I don't have a Time Capsule so this might not be of help, but if you plug it directly into your Mac does it recognize it in Disc Utility and can you erase it there?

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

You can log into the time capsule via airport utility and format the drive. That will erase everything.

But that shouldn't prevent your rMBP from connecting the the capsule. You may have a defective drive. If there is an apple store nearby, they can check it for you.

These things usually just work.

4. mwhities macrumors 6502a

ColdCase is spot on.

I had this issue when I first bought mine but, I can't remember exactly what I did. I believe I did format it a few times (out of frustration) but, in the last almost year, I've had zero issues.

Follow this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4522

Good luck.