Notice much difference between 2011 MBP and MBA screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tech324, Jul 26, 2011.

1. tech324 macrumors 6502

I have been told that the screen on the MBP is superior to the screen on the MBA. For example: The screen on the MBP covers 77% of the RGB color gamut and the MBA only covers 47%. Does anyone notice the MBP screen being better than the MBA?

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yep, the MBP screen absolutely is better, and as you point out, it's the color gamut that's the biggest difference. The Air screen (I have the Samsung) is not bad as a general screen in a small sized machine, but it's not good for serious photo editing. Photos tend to look flat and lifeless compared to MBP screen, and colors are not accurate (and yes mine is calibrated using a hardware calibrator).

4. Fugue macrumors 6502

5. Kafka macrumors 6502

6. VMMan macrumors 6502a

On my 2011 MBA 11" with Samsung LCD the negatives compared to my 2011 MBP 17":

Colors seem a little more muted (but I have not calibrated either)
    Mildly worse horizontal/vertical viewing angles

But, I should also write that I AM AMAZED BY THIS MBA 11"!!!

It's hard to describe how unique this "laptop" feels and how you seem to forget about specifications or its comparison to the 13" MBA. It just feels like the most unique "laptop". I hate to say it, but it feels "magical".

7. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it only noticable with photo editing and such? I don't edit photos. I would consider myself an average user. Browse the web, email, SSH, remote desktop, stuff like that

8. MilkMan4 macrumors regular

what is a good program to calibrate it the screen on a macbook air?

9. OSMac macrumors 65816

10. nfl46 macrumors 604

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

MBP screen is way better! Even the 13mbp compared to the 13mba.

11. lyrrad721 macrumors regular

No way man, the screen of the 13'' MBP isn't better than the 13'' MBA...

12. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

For your use, I say go for the air!

13. h00ligan macrumors 68030

not a program, hardware.

If you want to try and do it with software, download supernal...but a hardware calibrator is much much better, and you can get them for not too much cash.

14. blowabs macrumors member

I did a fairly side bty side in the Apple store viewing my own photos on my website and the only difference i saw was a slightly more saturated look to my photographs which i feel i can make up for in calibration. Of course, real serious edits will be done in PS CS3 & mostly on my iMac 27" QC i5....

15. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Well, I was unable to fix the problem with calibration (using a hardware calibrator). The MBA screen (Samsung) just does not have the color gamut to cover certain saturated parts of the spectrum, that's just the way it is. Reds are the most noticeable, you just cannot achieve a satisfying deep, rich red. It's kind of a washed out, flat, pinkish-peachy red. Oh well.

But for the OP's uses (i.e. not color-critical photo editing), I'd say the MBA screen is quite good. It's plenty bright, decent contrast and viewing angles, and looks sharp. I'd have no hesitation at all using it for web surfing, Mail, etc., or even "rough" photo editing.

16. TheRealHershey macrumors member

Yeah, there's a difference in quality...that's for sure. It's not because Apple went cheap, they didn't (high rez screens cost more), but because the screens are so thin, they aren't going to look quite as good.

If you're doing photography/editing, you need to have a good screen anyhow, like a Thunderbolt Display, or an IPS display.

17. nfl46 macrumors 604

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

How is the 13 MBA screen better? Aside from screen resolution, the Pro is much better. I have both side by side right now. The colors on the MBA looked washed out compared to the Pro.

Pro > Air

If users want a good MacBook laptop screen, get a 15" Pro or 17" Pro.