Notice Sound For No Reason

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jantonbusch, Jan 4, 2009.

1. jantonbusch macrumors newbie

My macbook running 10.4.11 has lately been making the Apple "notice" sound a lot for seemingly no reason. It's the tone you hear when a message pops up or something like that. It happens when I'm not even pushing a button, for example, when I'm moving the mouse (not clicking accidentally either). Not a huge problem, but curious. Nothing else is running.

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

When you next get the "notice" (I take it you mean Alert) sound, quickly open Activity Monitor to see what was - and may still be - happening. Does anything bounce in the Dock when you hear the sound? Check both the Sound and Software Update prefs in SysPrefs too.

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Can you describe the sound better?

is it similar to the alert you get if you try to CMD+C (copy) something without anything selected?

There was a Recent Thread about an unknown error sound.

I too have been hearing it for some time, but it didn't seem to be a huge problem, just an alert being caused by an unknown app. After reading the above thread, and realizing it wasn't just me, other people have been hearing it aswell, I decided to do an investigation.

Unfortunately, the problem appears to have resolved on it's own. With a pen and a pad to mark down the approx. time of each sound, I sat here for days without noticing any sound at all. To this day I still haven't heard it.

So much for my investigation...

Perhaps you can run it yourself.

Mark down the approx. time of each sound, and see if it truely is random, or if it happens in some type of pattern.

Check anything you can for the times you wrote down, console.app might have something.

do what you can to try and pin point it.

5. palmtree macrumors newbie

Try this

One reason for a noise for "no reason" is the Mac Mail program running in the background. Go to Mail -> Preferences -> General and make sure the box that says "play sounds for other mail actions" is unchecked. Otherwise you will get a sound periodically as it checks mail in the background.