Noticeable boost from 2GB to 4GB (both DDR3)?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aaquib, Jan 14, 2009.

1. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I am considering upgrading my RAM from 2GB to 4GB today at the Apple Store, and was wondering if I will notice a significant performance boost. 2GB is fine, but occasionally I'll get that annoying beach ball. It's $150 for a 4GB boost, and I have the 2.0GHZ aluminum MacBook. Would it be worth it for me to upgrade it?

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

More RAM=faster everything. Yes you will see a speed boost in your apps, games, etc.

3. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I have just upgraded from 2GB to 4GB in a MacBook which can only address 3.3GB!! But hey, the speed increase is fantastic. Now I can Aperture hard at the same time as everything else.

Upgrade for 2009 Q3/Q4 ... SSD!

4. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Go for it......more ram is always good........

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Depends on what you do. For me, running a virtual machine everytime the system is on, it made a HUGE difference.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Which MacBook do you have?

7. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

why are you paying the apple store $150?

owc does it for $84 plus they give back $25 when your send back your old 2gb of ram.

8. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

More RAM only makes a difference if you constantly go over the amount of RAM that you have nowadays. Don't buy if you don't need it. RAM will only get cheaper later on.

If you constantly hover 1GB/1.5GB as I do, then 4GB won't do you anything that your current 2GB doesn't. HOWEVER, if you constantly break the 2GB limit, then 4GB will get you extra speed (quite a lot indeed) when you go above the 2GB limit :)

9. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

Just browsing Firefox, with iTunes, Mail, and messenger I have about 400mb free, but when I add video encoding, or a pages/keynote file, that drops down to 20mb free and minor slowdowns.

10. mbleopard macrumors regular

Are you sure? I thought the architecture that Apple uses, since its based on UNIX can use all 4GB. I know the way Windows addresses RAM it cannot use a full 4GB

In fact on I believe either OWC or Crucials website they say the aluminum macbook can handle up to 6GB ram

11. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Don't just count the "Free" memory. The "Inactive" memory is also "Free" in a certain fashion. It's just pre-allocated - but free for use if the OS needs it. I have 2GB of RAM on my Unibody MacBook and I work with Photoshop, various browsers and a virtual machine to test websites and haven't had the need for 4GB yet.

Well... you seem to want the RAM anyway ;) go for it :) won't hurt.

12. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

Right now, there's 70mb inactive, but I'm guessing I might need to monitor it a bit more. I originally just told myself that I'd get the 2.0ghz + 4GB ram as apposed to the 2.4ghz, and so I'm going to be getting it done at the Apple Store tonight :) Hopefully it makes up for that .4ghz difference .

13. aaquib thread starter macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well, I live in Canada and the lowest shipping price is an additional $21. That, on top of the weak Canadian dollar = a better deal at the Apple Store.

14. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Posters tend to assume everyone is in the US............*sigh*

15. Kevlar macrumors 6502

$84American is ~$100Canadian (taking the 25$ back for the returned ram to counter shipping costs) is better then $150Canadian at the apple store. I actually got 4 guys together and we all ordered at once and will send back all the 1GB sticks together for return and saved on shipping costs. I had to pay GST on the ram at the post office but that was $10 (which was split between everyone as well). In Edmonton I never found a better deal then OWC. MemoryExpress was $100 per 2GB DIM of kingston.

16. MacFly69 macrumors regular

excuse my ignorance, but what & where is "OWC"? i'd be interested in purchasing additional RAM, thanks!

17. Cboss macrumors 6502

OWC stands for Other World Computing. You can go to there site here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/

18. baronbuzby macrumors regular

baronbuzby

Upgraded mine to 4gb yesterday - runs beautifully!

19. Scallywag macrumors regular

20. MacFly69 macrumors regular

thank you!

21. MacFly69 macrumors regular

22. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

It's probably not a good idea to trade in your RAM unless you are absolutely sure you won't have problems with the OWC chips. I did have problems, and I would have been without a functioning computer.

23. Kevlar macrumors 6502

That is why they ask you to test the new ram dims to make sure it is functional before sending back to orignals. All OWC's ram has a life time warranty too, so other then as you said possible time loss (which I hear they are really good at shipping in this case) you have a full warranty for problems on it.

24. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I stand by OWC, but their DDR3 is screwy with the NVIDIA chipsets (or certain MBs/MBPs with the NVIDIA chipset). Perpetual RMA is no fun.

25. Mr Rogerss macrumors member

Your going to pay SO much at the apple store.

I upgraded from 2GB to 4GB for 40 bucks.