Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2006
Lion seems to be a memory hog (at this point) from what I've seen. During the course of my workday I was regularly finding myself using over the 4GB of RAM my 2010 MBP came with. I was getting several Page Outs in Activity Monitor. I decided to upgrade to 8GB of RAM and everything is running much more soothly than before. It almost seems like a new machine.

I'm guessing that further point releases might change Lion's appetite for RAM.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Lion seems to be a memory hog (at this point) from what I've seen. During the course of my workday I was regularly finding myself using over the 4GB of RAM my 2010 MBP came with. I was getting several Page Outs in Activity Monitor. I decided to upgrade to 8GB of RAM and everything is running much more soothly than before. It almost seems like a new machine.

I'm guessing that further point releases might change Lion's appetite for RAM.

What concerns me is the fact that it *still* uses a metric ton of RAM. I've got 8GB in my MBP too, and if Safari is left open long enough, WebProcess will end up using nearly 75% of my RAM. :eek: I really don't understand why that's necessary, and I hope it's tweaked in a future update. Was hoping for a fix for it in 10.7.1. Definitely better to have the 8GB of RAM available.

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2006
What concerns me is the fact that it *still* uses a metric ton of RAM. I've got 8GB in my MBP too, and if Safari is left open long enough, WebProcess will end up using nearly 75% of my RAM. :eek: I really don't understand why that's necessary, and I hope it's tweaked in a future update. Was hoping for a fix for it in 10.7.1. Definitely better to have the 8GB of RAM available.

Available RAM isn't always a good way to measure it due to the way OS X likes to use as much of your RAM as it "needs." It'll adjust itself as new things are opened, etc. I generally only worry if I start to see Page Outs. Otherwise I just figure that OS X is managing the available RAM efficiently. If you see Page Outs though in Activity Monitor, that's where you start running into problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.