Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I'm thinking of getting an M1 iMac to replace my old 2013 iMac. I know the base has one fan and one less core.

My usage is mostly email, browsing and some video watching. Is it worth it to lay $200 extra for the extra fan and core?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Don't forget the 2 extra USB ports.

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 11.26.59 PM.png

But I don't think the extra GPU core is going to make any huge difference for you. If it were me, the extra USB ports would be worth the $200 to me - extra GPU core would just be a little extra icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Reactions: colodane and Zaft

Onnem

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2022
I'm thinking of getting an M1 iMac to replace my old 2013 iMac. I know the base has one fan and one less core.

My usage is mostly email, browsing and some video watching. Is it worth it to lay $200 extra for the extra fan and core?
I would keep the 200 bucks in your pocket any day of the week, unless you structurally need the extra ports or if you have an unstable Wifi setup.

Reasons why:

• Price difference
  • Not notable performance difference for your usecase
  • Less fan noise: strangely the 2 fan version is louder than the 1 fan version (probably not a big issue whith light use)
  • If you incidently need extra ports, you can always use a usb c hub with all the ports you need for 20 bucks. Which you will probably need anyway as most people still have some devices of cables with usb a plugs
For me the biggest reason to go with the four port version is that there is ethernet included in the cable. Very useful if you suffer from bad Wifi

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
For me the biggest reason to go with the four port version is that there is ethernet included in the cable. Very useful if you suffer from bad Wifi
You can get ethernet on the base version for an extra 30 bucks - the only difference is the power brick.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I would keep the 200 bucks in your pocket any day of the week, unless you structurally need the extra ports or if you have an unstable Wifi setup.

Reasons why:

• Price difference
  • Not notable performance difference for your usecase
  • Less fan noise: strangely the 2 fan version is louder than the 1 fan version (probably not a big issue whith light use)
  • If you incidently need extra ports, you can always use a usb c hub with all the ports you need for 20 bucks. Which you will probably need anyway as most people still have some devices of cables with usb a plugs
Don’t need many ports and I’m on wifi. I want to keep this iMac for at least as long as my 2013. Just thinking maybe the extra core will be more future proof?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Don’t need many ports and I’m on wifi. I want to keep this iMac for at least as long as my 2013. Just thinking maybe the extra core will be more future proof?
I don't subscribe to the concept of "future proofing," but spending $200 on 16GB RAM (instead of 8GB) will be much more likely to improve its usefulness in the future than an extra core. Even just browsing seems to take more and more memory every year.
There are several threads from people that have regretted getting only 8GB, although admittedly with more intensive needs than you.

Last edited:

Onnem

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2022
True that browsing uses more RAM, but nowadays a different approach towards RAM is plausible. In the old days, too little RAM would make a system instantly extremely sluggish, because of the dependance on classical rotating hard disk drives.

With high speed storage, the speed gap between regular storage and RAM storage becomes much smaller and therefor less relevant. This is also one of the reasons why Macs can easily be fitted with "only" 8GB. Add the efficient use of hardware by the OS (since hardware and software are jointly developed by Apple), and there's a lot to say that 8GB will work more than sufficient for home use and light office use.

I use a Macbook Air M1 myself with 8GB and it works like a charm with al lot of programs "opened". And an iMac should be faster than my Macbook, as my Macbook's CPU throttles down the CPU more often to keep the temperature low, because, in contrast to the iMac, my Macbook has passive cooling.

Reactions: usagora

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
"Don’t need many ports and I’m on wifi. I want to keep this iMac for at least as long as my 2013. Just thinking maybe the extra core will be more future proof?"

The whole concept of "future proof" is to "buy more than you need" with the expectation that over time, your needs may "grow".

THAT'S WHY you want to spend the extra $200 now for the 4-port version with ethernet built into the power adapter.

Someday you may actually need those things.

Oh, and "one more thing"...
You want 16gb of RAM.
DO NOT buy an m1 Mac with only 8gb.
The extra RAM is one of those things you may "need most of all" in the future.

Reactions: colodane

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
OP:
"Don’t need many ports and I’m on wifi. I want to keep this iMac for at least as long as my 2013. Just thinking maybe the extra core will be more future proof?"

The whole concept of "future proof" is to "buy more than you need" with the expectation that over time, your needs may "grow".

THAT'S WHY you want to spend the extra $200 now for the 4-port version with ethernet built into the power adapter.

Someday you may actually need those things.

Oh, and "one more thing"...
You want 16gb of RAM.
DO NOT buy an m1 Mac with only 8gb.
The extra RAM is one of those things you may "need most of all" in the future.
one can be absolutely fine with 8GB of RAM. I have both 16GB Macbook Air m1 and 8GB Mac Mini M1, there is not much difference in performance at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.