Noticing some screen stratches

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jazper, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Been waiting for the 3 screen protectors I ordered to come, all have been redesigned and therefore delayed, I'm hoping my Zagg will come on Monday.

Noticed 1 small scratch on my display and possibly some small scuffs, nothing serious (hard to tell if the scruffs are just from the oleophobic coating) - but amuses me how people say that you never need a screen protector.

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yup, about as amusing as those who say you don't need a case too :eek:

3. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Be amused all you want. I've had many iDevices and never had a screen protector on any of them and never had a single scratch. I always tell my friends not to bother unless they are the kind of people who are ridiculously careless with their stuff. I have one young friend who beats his phones up so bad, they look like he's been using them as hockey pucks.

If you chuck your phone around like a maniac and rub it face down with sand on the screen or like to rub your diamond ring on the screen, you probably need one, but if you are reasonably careful, it's a waste, and no matter what anybody says or how good the protector is, nothing is a good as naked glass.

4. Jazper thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm always extremely careful of my devices, never dropped or damaged the screen other than light scratches.

5. Truthfulie macrumors regular

I never use screen protectors. You get micro-scratches here and there, but nothing too serious. Having clear and responsive display for a year or two of usage is better for me than having near perfect screen when I sell it.

6. reverberlayed macrumors regular

I don't use screen protectors and don't suffer from any scratches on my iPhone 5. I've had it for 2 years.

7. iFiend macrumors 65816

feel the same

and I have micro oleophobic scratches already

naked iPhone FTW

8. darkonex macrumors member

Microscratches are horrible though! I'd definitely sell/rebuy a new phone if mine got that, thus the reason mine always go directly into a case and screen protector. Screen protectors also don't mess with screen responsiveness, dunno where you get that idea. If you experienced this then you probably bought some wierd protector then because I've never seen this in all my years using them.

----------

Look at it in diff angles out in the sun, you will find scratches guaranteed

9. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

All iPhones without screen protectors that are used normally more than a day have scratches. Whether you can admit that to yourself is a different story.

10. Truthfulie, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

Truthfulie macrumors regular

Like I said, you do get some scratches here and there. I am not arguing that. But it's not enough of reason for me, personally to use a protector. And let me re-phrase about the responsiveness. I shouldn't have used responsiveness. It's more of feel to the touch. I've tried multiple protectors but don't like how they feel and yes, they were all quality products, not some dollar protectors off ebay. Tempered glass feels like the closest thing to the naked screen but those are usually thick thus not to my taste.

11. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

This. Minor scratches here or there. But nothing serious.

12. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

New in the box....they all have a plastic protector.
    If it wasn't a good thing the manufacture wouldn't spring for the extra pennies to do it.

13. deviant macrumors 65816

Never used one. My 4s is perfect. But I take good care of my stuff. Also, if you have a scratch that you can't see with the screen on and have to inspect your screen under the sunlight to find it - you have no life.

14. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Same goes for myopic thread repliers.

15. TRC-WA macrumors regular

16. darkonex macrumors member

Some of us go outside though so it's unavoidable to not see it

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't bother because oleophopic coating scratches are difficult to see unless under certain lights and angles and it defeats the purpose of having the oleophopic coating.

Be amused all you want but not everyone is anal retentive.

18. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Is this for real? People are already getting scratches on their new iPhone 6? How are some of you getting scratches. Mine has zero scratches and it's been in and out of my pocket.

19. deviant macrumors 65816

too bad you're immersed in your iPhone when outside. People go outside to have fun and do something, not inspect their iPhones with a magnifying glass to make sure there isn't a microscopic scratch on the oleo phobic coating.

20. darkonex macrumors member

If they aren't using a screen protector, easy as that

21. bmt134 macrumors 6502

First we had "You're holding it wrong"
    Second we had "You're bending it wrong"
    Now we have "You're looking at it wrong"

Oh brother...

22. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Interesting. Well I don't use a screen protector and my 6 Plus screen is pristine. I'll just have to be extra careful. I don't like screen protectors.

23. daniphils macrumors newbie

Noticing some screen stratches

But one tiny sand corn between your swiping finger and the screen will get you your first micro scratch, no matter how careful you are and you probably won't even notice it.

24. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

First it'd have to get through my suede jacket, and even then it'd be to my Zagg Glass which is a lifetime warranty, so no biggie ;)

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They're not normal scratches but microscratches that are visible only under sunlight and can appear just with use, although it's possible to induce a deeper single-line scratch in the oleophobic coating itself which is more visible (e.g., from a grit of sand).

These microscratches aren't visible 90% of the time (unless you're outdoor all day) so they're not really a big deal.