Notification Center missed tab

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by lokey, Jul 22, 2013.

1. lokey macrumors regular

lokey

Forgive me if this has already been discussed in length, but...

Has anyone determined the purpose of the 'missed' tab in Notification Center? Maybe I just don't receive all that many notifications, but it seems like the 'all' tab handles the 'missed' notifications pretty well on its own.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

All I seem to notice there are notifications that have come when the phone was locked the last time. Not sure how useful that is--especially with the "all" tab showing all notifications anyway, which is what I end up using most of the time.

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Agreed. Seems to be the least used tab on my NC.

4. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Does anyone know if it is possible to sort the "all" tab by the time the notification was received, rather than by the application that sent it?

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Settings --> Notification Center --> Notification View --> Sort By Time

6. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Thanks. I tried that, but the notifications in the "all" tab are still sorted by application, regardless of whether "sort by time" or "sort manually" is selected.
    Is this a bug, perhaps?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Do you mean that they are grouped by apps? I believe that's how it's always been. You still get the latest things showing up in order, but if there's more than one from the app then the others will be grouped together in a location based on the timing of the most recent notification from that app.

8. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Yeah, I was hoping to have it sort by time, regardless of app. If I get a notice of an incoming email, I don't want to have to scroll down a list of such notices going back a week or two before I get to the next relevant notification.

I suppose I could erase them more frequently, but still.

And do you happen to know what "sort by time" or "sort manually" is supposed to do? Nothing seems to change when I change this selection.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Sort by time sorts your notifications by time. It still groups by app, but the most recent notification (and the group of notifications from the same app) will appear in the list first.

Sort Manually sorts your notifications by app only, and the order can be arranged in Notification Center preferences in the Settings app.

10. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

I really don't see the point of the "Missed" tab - it just doubles up. I literally never use it. Surely that space can be used for something else? Post to FB/Twitter and quick reply I' sure would be popular additions - judging by the posts since iOS7 dropped!

11. lokey thread starter macrumors regular

lokey

Glad I'm not alone in finding it useless. I'd like it to go away completely or at least give me the option to make it hidden similar to the control for what is available from the lock screen notification pull down.

----------

Agreed. In many ways moving ALL of Control Center to that tab would also work well. Then there can be less 'drawers' coming from the screen sides.

12. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I actually hate the idea of tabs entirely. The notification center should provide a quick glance of whatever information you want to see.

Now, instead, I have reminders, calendars, and weather in one tab, then messages and email previews in another... I just hate it.

I liked the old unified list better.

13. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Ok, I get it now. Thanks for a very clear explanation. I appreciate it.

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You're very welcome. It's definitely a little tricky. Let me know if you have other questions.

15. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Thanks very much. I will! :)

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think the lock screen notifications work the way you describe--basically simply based on time and not any other grouping or anything like that. Doesn't quite help with getting that into notification center, but in a way the functionality exists already, just in a somewhat different place which isn't as practical of course.

17. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Yeah, that's what I'd like Notification Center to do. Ideally, I don't want any notifications to pop up. I'd rather check Notification Center from time to time to see what I've missed.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, you can set it to be almost like that, minus the app grouping (at least so far).