Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blkant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Has anyone noticed any changes or other suggestions to potential changes in dark mode elsewhere?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Yes, no cosmetic differences from the one in MacOS Sierra. If you're hoping for a more complete implementation of dark mode, you are sadly going to be disappointed unless Apple makes changes in subsequent betas.

Blkant

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
There is no and never was any system-wide Dark Mode.
Please re-read. I never at any point in time said anything about or implied there was any sort of existence of a "system-wide" Dark Mode.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
There is no and never was any system-wide Dark Mode.

The OP is referring to the NC, which had a dark theme when it was applied in El Captain. This was removed in Sierra.

It looked great with the NC.

Hopefully Apple adds it in a later beta, but if not I'm still looking forward to High Sierra

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Hopefully Apple adds it in a later beta, but if not I'm still looking forward to High Sierra

Don't hold your breath. You may as well wait for 10.14. Apparently at Apple they can't care less about what customers want in terms of aesthetic. What annoys me the most is that it was there indeed, and Apple removed it. I'm sick of this design trend (even in Android) where everything must be white or grey.

Reactions: Feyl

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
There's no such thing as a "dark mode", but there is an explicit option to change the menu bar and dock dark. This causes much confusion on here.
[doublepost=1501479028][/doublepost]
Don't hold your breath. You may as well wait for 10.14. Apparently at Apple they can't care less about what customers want in terms of aesthetic. What annoys me the most is that it was there indeed, and Apple removed it. I'm sick of this design trend (even in Android) where everything must be white or grey.

That is a good thing. If every segment of customers all got their way when it comes to "aesthetics", then Apple products would be a jumbled mess. Don't over estimate how important a few thousand people on internet forums are when it comes to this stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if 90 percent of Mac users have no clue you can change the colors of the menu bar and dock as is.

ryxn

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
They removed it in Sierra. I've sent them a comment in their Suggestions site before, unfortunately nothing has changed. Night Shift, however, is a good compromise for me and I don't mind it as much anymore.

Would it be nice if they included a Notifications Center that was dark to match the dark menu bar and Dock? Absolutely, I'd love it.

Am I going to go and berate Apple for not including one? No.

[doublepost=1501479028][/doublepost]

That is a good thing. If every segment of customers all got their way when it comes to "aesthetics", then Apple products would be a jumbled mess. Don't over estimate how important a few thousand people on internet forums are when it comes to this stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if 90 percent of Mac users have no clue you can change the colors of the menu bar and dock as is.

This I completely agree with. While I think having Notification Center match the user bar and Dock when set to dark would be nice, I'm not going to berate Apple too much for it. From my experience, the majority of Mac users don't even know the option to use a dark menu bar and Dock exists. Having a unified "dark mode" would take an incredible amount of work and I can imagine how horrible some apps would look in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.