notification center using location services?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Garyx24, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Garyx24 macrumors newbie

I pretty much turn off location services for specific apps like Facebook, Instagram, etc so only apps like yelp, weather, speed test etc use location services. But I've started to notice if I check my phone and pull down the notification center I see the location services arrow thing pop up. I know this isn't a rogue app b/c i doubled checked to make sure what uses notification services and all my system services are off and all my background app refresh are off. Just curious but has anyone else noticed this? I did restore from my IOS 6.1.4 backup and this problem has been there even after I used "reset all settings" And this seems to only happen after i don't touch my phone for a while. Say i check my phone then turn it off, then turn it back on within a couple minutes and pull down notification center, the location services arrow is not there.

2. TheKrs1 macrumors 6502

Yup, This is frequent locations pinging your location. It does this to learn your habbits and provide you driving times to your next likely location.

Settings --> Privacy --> Location --> System Services --> Frequent Locations

3. Garyx24 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have frequent locations turned off though too.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

pull it down and trigger the location service then go to privacy > location services > system services and see if you can find a a purple arrow next to anything there. That would be the indicator of what is requesting your location.

update: I just did it..it's weather.

5. GreyOS macrumors 68030

It's weather, right? Notification centre tells you the weather in your area.

----------

lol

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

Edit. nvm

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Yeah it's weather LOL

8. Garyx24 thread starter macrumors newbie

but I don't have weather on notification center. The only I see is the date today which is under the "today" tab. I remember in IOS 6 when you pull down the menu theres weather but you could turn that on or off through notification center. In IOS 7 now there is no weather in notification center to turn on or off. And the arrow is still off in location services either way

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

You have to disable it for Weather in Location Services under Privacy.

10. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

wrong. disable weather in background services...

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Disable it anywhere and everywhere you can find anything related to weather (and traffic/locations).

12. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

his problem: weather using location IN THE BACKGROUND aka battery when not needed

solution: disable weather IN THE BACKGROUND. does it matter if weather is allowed to use your location? no cause it cant when its NOT RUNNING in the background anymore, PERIOD. not doing what i said but only disabling location means it will STILL RUN in the background updating weather data still draining battery...

13. Garyx24 thread starter macrumors newbie

disabling weather in privacy did fix but it's stupid how the weather toggle is on just pulling down on notification center.....

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

But just disabling updating in the background won't disable it from using location services when the Notification Center is used--which is actually the whole subject of the thread. That is controlled through location settings in privacy.

15. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It's not stupid as weather is prominently displayed in the notification centre, so when you open this it has to show the current weather - hence it updates it based on your location at that moment. I don't see what the big deal is. The location arrow only stays on for a few seconds.