Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
I noticed something, IOS 5 and 6 had the stock Weather app incorporated, but since IOS 7 this is not the case. It made me think, why wouldn't they allow this or incorporate it since day 1?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I noticed something, IOS 5 and 6 had the stock Weather app incorporated, but since IOS 7 this is not the case. It made me think, why wouldn't they allow this or incorporate it since day 1?

What do you mean? I have weather in NC and have since the first day I began beta testing iOS 7.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
What do you mean? I have weather in NC and have since the first day I began beta testing iOS 7.

I mean like it was in IOS 5, the banner at the top constantly showing the weather and not have to have location services on, just turn on wi fi when you wanted the banner to update.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I mean like it was in IOS 5, the banner at the top constantly showing the weather and not have to have location services on, just turn on wi fi when you wanted the banner to update.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

They changed the Weather "widget" back in iOS 7 as part of iOS redesign.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
They changed the Weather "widget" back in iOS 7 as part of iOS redesign.

Pity, I like for example the Living Earth widget and would prefer that kind of widget using the stock weather app. The only thing we get is the text stating the current weather conditions right?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Pity, I like for example the Living Earth widget and would prefer that kind of widget using the stock weather app. The only thing we get is the text stating the current weather conditions right?

It can show more than that at times but decides on its own what to show.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Yahoos is pretty decent. May want to give that a try.

Yahoo weather? Can I set my location manually and when I turn wi fi it updates the weather conditions on that location and doesn't ask me to turn on location services everytime?

Cause it always asks me to turn on those location services.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yahoo weather? Can I set my location manually and when I turn wi fi it updates the weather conditions on that location and doesn't ask me to turn on location services everytime?

Not as many weather widgets work without location services. One that does is Weather Underground, and I believe there are a few other ones as well (some paid).

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

You can set location manually but for the widget to work you will have to have location services on. Its not that big a deal though. I have not seen it register in battery use at all (unless actually using the app of course)

Not as many weather widgets work without location services. One that does is Weather Underground, and I believe there are a few other ones as well (some paid).

And Yahoo is run by weather underground now but it still needs location on for the notification widget to work. Not tried the regular WU one though.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I'm loving the eWeather HD widget!

They've been my favorite and most accurate weather app for a couple of years now, and I'll give them credit for having not just one, but two widgets...neither of which I use. LOL

Their hourly "clock" forecast drives me nuts; it takes up too much NC real estate while being very difficult to actually read. The new weekly forecast widget that was added with the latest update is much better laid out, but I'm finding that current to very near future conditions are more important to me in the quick look function that an NC widget provides than looking that far ahead. If I need a week view, I end up opening the app instead.

Up here in the very damp and dreary Pacific Northwest, it's still the Dark Sky widget for me, hands down. Simple, functional, accurate beyond belief.

(Yahoo's weather widget is still the prettiest, hands down, but again, it takes up too much space for my tastes. And in my location, it's never the most accurate.)

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
They've been my favorite and most accurate weather app for a couple of years now, and I'll give them credit for having not just one, but two widgets...neither of which I use. LOL

Their hourly "clock" forecast drives me nuts; it takes up too much NC real estate while being very difficult to actually read. The new weekly forecast widget that was added with the latest update is much better laid out, but I'm finding that current to very near future conditions are more important to me in the quick look function that an NC widget provides than looking that far ahead. If I need a week view, I end up opening the app instead.

Up here in the very damp and dreary Pacific Northwest, it's still the Dark Sky widget for me, hands down. Simple, functional, accurate beyond belief.

(Yahoo's weather widget is still the prettiest, hands down, but again, it takes up too much space for my tastes. And in my location, it's never the most accurate.)

Do you use the US weather or Foreca?

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Both.

In my area, US Weather is more accurate usually. But Foreca has the barometric pressure forecast for 10 hours ahead, which is useful for those of us with weather triggered headaches.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Just for the record, and in my case, Yahoo Weather widget on my iPad 4 and iPad Mini-R (both iOS 8.1.2) screws up and gives an error message in a black blank space "Unable to Load" every few days. The first week in December it was out for 5 days; usually it fixes within 24 hours or so. No amount of fiddling with the iPads has any effect; it comes back on its own inexplicable timetable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.