Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I have the check box ticked to play sound upon receipt of an email in the Notification options but I am not hearing anything although the banners are showing.

All speakers are working, just wondered if I had overlooked something.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I have the check box ticked to play sound upon receipt of an email in the Notification options but I am not hearing anything although the banners are showing.

This just happened to me too, I got a notification of a new email but no sound popped up.

dumboa

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012

Same here, I only have default notification sound of Reminder and Calendar (Basso) and iMessage ( iChat Message receive) but no sound for Mail. It suppose to have a unified type of sound. Also can't change the type of notification center sound as instructed here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5362

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas

I had the same issue with the audio. very annoying!!! This does not seem like a very polished OS at all. :/ I don't remember having this many problems with Windows 7. also I miss expose. none of my minimized apps will show up in mission control or whatever you call it. Also finder/ trash is still limited as always.. arrgghh.. If google didn't have chrome on the mac.. I would switch to windows... /rant.

Check if your input/ output audio is your internal speaker. This is what it solved my issue b/c it had something else as the default.

dumboa

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012

Guys after trying out many solutions. Finally I found this:

_ Go to Preference/Viewing and change to the classic view. Quit Mail app, reopen and try to send yourself an email or ask a friend to do. The sound goes back !!! It works.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Guys after trying out many solutions. Finally I found this:

_ Go to Preference/Viewing and change to the classic view. Quit Mail app, reopen and try to send yourself an email or ask a friend to do. The sound goes back !!! It works.

Do you have to stay in classic view?

I tried this and now I get a sound but no banner. Turned classic view off and now I get neither a sound or a banner.

dumboa

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Do you have to stay in classic view?

I tried this and now I get a sound but no banner. Turned classic view off and now I get neither a sound or a banner.

After you get the sound, can change back to new view !!! I also got no sound later on after I tried this method for the 1st time but try to do the trick again and there you go. Also remember to check the New Messages Sound in Preference/Generals, try to pick different sounds as well

_ Preference/Viewing/Classic View on. Quit the app, open again, ask a friend to send u an email. Turn off classic view.

For the banner to appear there are 2 conditions that must be met

1. The mail must come from an account which is not in your Mail app
2. When you are selecting another window or app

At this moment I'm trying to send me some emails from friend accounts to different accounts of mine in Mail app and I still get banner and sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.