Notification delay bug

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by rsxmachine, Sep 27, 2012.

1. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

I've noticed now on iphone 5 and 4S on IOS6 that there is a notification delay now. Basically, the phone vibrates, then 1-2 sec later the notification comes up on the screen. In IOS5 I remember the vibrate and notification were synced correctly.

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

3. rsxmachine thread starter macrumors 6502

4. tmagman macrumors 6502

oh good... i'm not alone in noticing this delay. I find it occasionally is delayed with iMessage notifications but I agree its only emails otherwise.

Hopefully fixed in a 6.0.1 update in a few weeks here.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Someone make a list of what works, it'll be shorter.

6. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

This was real bad in the BETA. Thought it would be fixed in the release of iOS 6. But I can still notice a bit of a delay.

Apple really slipped up on this iOS release. Alot of minor problems.

7. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

I experience the same thing with email and message notifications. I thought it was just my iPhone 4 being a little slow.

8. Rory Manton macrumors regular

Rory Manton

It's only a matter of seconds. The one time I noticed it I had my phone in my hand. Other times ,by the time I'v finished faffing about finding the phone this "bug" is irrelevant.:D

9. Widbinjd macrumors newbie

It is not a bug

The notification delay is not a bug. It is intentional. If the phone is in your pocket, which it will be most of the time, you feel a vibration and then pull the phone out. The delay was implemented so that the notification won't actually pop up until it is out of your pocket. Then you actually see the notification and don't pull out then phone only to have the screen shut off.

10. WesCole macrumors 6502a

This is what I think, too.

11. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Good point and I haven't thought of that, but why am I only seeing with it with Mail notifications? Why are my Messages or Calendar events or Reminders in sync but not Mail? One way or another, it's a bug.

12. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

What is your source for saying that it's not a bug, it's intentional? If it's just your own reasoning, there are some flaws...

I really doubt it would be coded with such an assumption, but if they wanted to do something like this, then they could at least only do it when the screen is locked and off, for example. i'm pretty sure it does it when unlocked and in use. Second, and most importantly, why would it matter if the notification came up once it was out of your pocket instead of in your pocket?? If it's in your pocket it's almost certainly locked. If you have lock screen previews it doesn't matter if it came up in your pocket or as you pulled it out, it'll still be there on your lock screen.

13. NedBookPro macrumors 6502

I've noticed that sometimes even after you've got the phone out of your pocket and in your hand, you see nothing. So the delay is long.

The other thing.. what if the phone is sitting on your desk? Surely when you hear the sound, you don't want to wait to see something appear on the screen. In my opinion, the sound should happen after appearance on screen.

It (the delay) certainly does seem to be a bug more than a "feature".

It's similar to the swoosh before SMTP bug in mail I keep going on about. Why would you want the sound the moment you press the send button? We know we pressed the send button! The sound should happen after the mail client completes it's negotiation with the SMTP server, not before. That way we *know* the client delivered the message to the server.

In my case for some reason, in iOS6, on my Exchange account, sending mail always seems to fail when on WI-FI, yet the swoosh sound happens as though it was sent successfully. It's quite annoying, and I'm always forced to go to my Sent folder to see if it was actually delivered. The never happened with iOS5. Desperately waiting for an iOS6 update to see if it addresses the problem.

14. outie2k macrumors regular

Do you *think* it's intentional or do you have source? You are assuming the phone is in the pocket most of the time, which is very subjective.

I have my phone on my desk all day long while at work and at home. I am sure there are a lot of people being the same. If Apple was that thoughtful in the first place, they would have added a feature that lets the user can adjust the delay. Like others have pointed out, why does this only happen on Mail? What's the intention behind this?

15. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Notice this is their first and only post...

That said, if it were intentional it would use the proximity sensor to know when and when not to delay. The fact that it's 2-3 seconds even if you're holding it and it's in use clearly shows it's a bug... unless Apple actually wants everyone to stop doing what they're doing and stare at the screen waiting.

16. cole01 macrumors 6502

This happens to me too, it's rather annoying. It was getting really bad until a restart (mostly) fixed this issue. Here's hoping 6.0.1 comes out really soon, there's a few annoying stability issues.

17. Jigga macrumors 6502

The delay is much longer than 1-2 seconds. It's quite annoying.

18. elliwhi macrumors member

elliwhi

My mum and I are having so many bugs with iMessage.

We don't get notified 5 mins after the message has been sent from our friends, and my Facetime doesn't tell me that I've got an incoming call and then after my friend has called me about 20 times, I finally get the first call..... IT'S OUTRAGEOUS!! :mad::mad::mad:

19. x5800 macrumors newbie

Fixed in iOS 7?

Can anybody who is running iOS 7 say if this has been fixed in the new version?