Notification from service provider of a bot?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thomapa1, Oct 11, 2011.

1. thomapa1 macrumors newbie

Got a notice from Comcast that my iMac may be infected with a bot...does this appear to be SPAM to use their services? or is there something I can do to confirm infection on my own?

See notification below:
    "Your immediate attention is required.
    Constant Guard from XFINITY identified that one or more of your computers may be infected with a bot. A bot is a malicious form of software that is used to send spam, host a phishing site, or steal your identity by monitoring your keystrokes without your knowledge. It may be possible you are unaware that your computer is infected with a bot.
    We strongly recommend you visit XFINITY.com/BotAssistance for important information on how to remove malicious software from your computer(s). "

2. mr.iso macrumors member

Is the iMac your only computer?
    Do you use wifi? If so, is it open? If so, secure it.

It's unlikely that your iMac is infected with a bot of some sort, but I would try and get more information from Comcast about the notice before going crazy about it.

3. thomapa1 thread starter macrumors newbie

good points.
    I also have a work windows laptop, and Wifi that is secure, but with a guest config as well.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

99% chance that the Comcast/Xfinity checking software will not be able to look at a Mac running OSx; they only look at windows machines most likely.

5. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

For god's sakes man... you are being hit up to buy something.

6. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

You sure the email is legit? If you look at the headers, where does the message originate from?

Your Mac is probably fine but; change all your email passwords, change your wifi pass and make sure it's using WPA/2+AES (AFAIK TKIP is breakable). Then scan your Windows machines with a good antivirus/malware suite.

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Don't be naive! It's an obvious advert for a so-called anti virus app. Useless on a Mac.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Of course it's spam. No website can scan your computer for malware. You would have to download an app to do that. Don't ever believe anything that tells you there's malware on your computer, unless it comes from a trusted antimalware app that you installed from a reliable source.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.