Notification icons on status bar?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twelve56, Jun 29, 2010.

1. twelve56 macrumors member

Does anyone know if its possible to have the notification icons on the status bar for mail,sms etc? I used to like this feature on my old jailbroken iphone. Since getting the iphone 4 i dont really have a reason to jailbreak it, and i was jailbroken for so long in the past that ive forgotton if its available on non jailbroken devices.

Im guessing no, as ive searched through all the settings, but wanted someone to confirm it.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

No can do.

Possibly the most annoying thing about iOS.

3. ianray macrumors 6502

The best you can do is keep relevant Apps in your dock, in a folder in your dock, or on one homescreen. Then, the notification badges are visible albeit not in the status bar... :)

4. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

That's not the idea with iPhone though, it's about being uncluttered as possible and sleek looking (Android is chock full of indicators on their bar and it looks a mess), what's wrong with the sms and mail icons being numbered with updates?

5. rookie1082 macrumors regular

Mess? Funny. A lot less intrusive than iOS notifications. What's wrong with the numbered icons? They stink, that's what. You need to be on the homescreen to view them. Status bar on my friends Android is a lot more useful than the status bar on my ip4. The only thing MY status bar is useful for is showing me my low bars whem i'm holding the damn thing.

What's his useful for? Reading emails, sms, downloads, app installations, calendar updates, system info, etc etc etc. Options are limitless.

Android FTW.

Edit: Funny you should say uncluttered because the notifications system on iOS is just that.... Cluttered. God Forbid i'm playing Tap Tap revenge a game and receive a text -- might as well start the song over because my score is ruined.

6. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

Coming from a bb I really miss the notifications in the status bar. The best thing would be when the device is locked you can see if you have a message. The iPhone doesn't have this or an led light indicator so when your phone is locked, you must unlock, go to the home screen to just CHECK if you have a message. Besides BBM, this is the other thing I miss from my BB, but overall I am very happy with the switch and won't ever look back!

7. rookie1082 macrumors regular

Heres an example of notifications in the status bar.

All u have to do is drag the status bar down and u can do all u need to do, right there, without ever quitting an app.

So intrusive and cluttered!

Attached Files:

8. wreckshop macrumors 6502

u r a true apple homer if u think numbered badges and popups are superior to android's notification system /facepalm

9. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

[​IMG]

*sigh*

Still impatiently waiting iPhone 4 jailbreak....

10. rookie1082 macrumors regular

That's gotta be frustrating.

Meanwhile Nexus One devs are working on optimization and performance and new features while Apple Devs are stuck at the starting line.

Sweet status bar though! Can't wait to jailbreak and have the same pull-down functionality of my status bar that all my Android buddies have! No more intrusive alerts!

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think with the exception of the kool-aid drinking crowd, people agree that the notification system for iOS is an egg sucking dog. Just do a search and see how many people were hoping that apple would have updated the notification system in iOS which *sigh* didn't occur.

While iOS UI is a clean design, it has gotten cluttered, just look at how they had to add multitasking. Having the entire screen shift up just to show a task manager is a tad kludgey. Yeah they made it look nice but it doesn't fit the overall UI design. Apple has to revamp the UI to make it more flexible for the future.

12. ianray macrumors 6502

Badge icons are enough for some people, but the wider issue of notifications and notification management in iOS disappoints many people. Competitors including Android and WebOS (amongst others) have neat solutions in this area, and many of us were expecting iOS 4 to offer a big improvement :(

13. neil1980 macrumors 6502

Thats what I miss most about my jailbroken 3g.... you could feel your phone vibrate... few mins later just press the power button and you can see it was an email and not worry about it till later.

Un jailbroken have to turn on, swipe, put pin in.... I know its not a lot but its just so much quicker just to tap the power button.

Id say after 4 or 5 days of iPhone 4 use its worth jailbreaking just for the notifications... I just hope they hurry up with the jailbreak!

14. rookie1082 macrumors regular

Once I jailbreak then I have to worry about ATT and Apple sending out "silent bombs" to my phone to see if i'm jailbroken or not and if i'm running ATT and not Tmobile. Runs the risk of voiding my warranty OTA or even locking my phone. If this is true then that's absolutely horrible.

Great.

15. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

That's the last thing you have to worry about. It's all not true.

16. rookie1082 macrumors regular

How can you prove this?

17. Tino04 macrumors member

I doubt that sort of thing can be proven, however having jailbroken my 3G more times than I care to remember (I like fiddling), not once did this EVER happen to me - I don't even remember reading about this happening to anyone else either

18. Syk macrumors 6502a

I'll be glad when there's a jailbreak also to get notifications without having to swipe and put my pin in.

I wished Apple would have also put an led in so you can see if you missed a message if you don't have your phone with you at the time you would know you have a message or missed call.

Would be nice if some developer could write something that would could use the led flash on the back to maybe blink every so often if you have a missed message.. I normally sit my phone face down so that would work perfect :cool:

19. pwb2103 macrumors member

which jailbreak app were people using to get this? I had intelliscreen before but the dev seems to have gone missing and no longer supports it. I switched to lockinfo and love it now (dev responded to my question same day when I had a problem... amazing), but haven't figured out where to get status bar notifications back yet.

also, rookie, why are you posting these crazy trolling comments?

20. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

How is it feasible for Apple or AT&T to send out weekly/monthly updates? It will never happen. It will make the end user's iPhone experience awful, having to install small updates all the time.
    How will AT&T block an unlocked iPhone, when the unlocked iPhone isn't on their network? Say it's running T-Mobile? Isn't that the point of unlocking the phone?
    Thousands of iPhone users never plug their iPhone's into iTunes, they don't need to, and that's fine. Many are probably still on the firmware that came with their phones. An OTA update would cause mass confusion among these users, especially.
    What about if your phone is jailbroken and unlocked, and you are in an emergency where you need your phone. You pull out your phone and you can't use it, can you imagine the lawsuits that would come of that? What about emergencies that don't require 911, like someone in the family is injured/dead, and you don't know about it because your phone was disabled.
    How would Apple know that your iPhone is unlocked or jailbroken? They have neither the time nor the resources to do such a thing.
    Jailbreaking and unlocking our iPhones is completely legal.
    Apple doesn't want to mess with it.

21. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

Link to one case where it actually happened please.

22. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

An SMS comes in followed by an email and then an app notification Your phone buzzes a few times. You hit the home button and all you see is the pop up notification for the app. You have no idea why your phone buzzed before. Was it another app notification, an email? So you have to swipe, key in passcode, and then go through your screens to see which apps have the number icons.

Or, you press the home button, see that app's pop, and quickly glance at the status bar to see you have an unread text and email as well. You decide to look at it now or later.

Which is more elegant?

23. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Burden of proof lies on you, buddy. Stop being a troll and go play on a Droid forum.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Anything can happen in the future, but over the past 2+ years of jailbreaking this has never happened. Historically Apple has used a passive agnel to stop jailbreaking in that their OS updates will plug the exploits JBing used and then new apps and OSes will require an update; however, there are always ways around this. In one particular case, jailbreaking plugged a security flaw before Apple had a chance to address it.