Notification LED

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nelly29, Sep 28, 2010.

1. nelly29 macrumors member

The one big problem most people seem to have with the IP4 is the poor notification system. I wonder "if" :apple: wanted to....could they use the led on the camera to use as a notification for a missed call/email/sms ? Through a software update this would be possible???? We could then just lay they phone screen down and take a peek for the "glowing" led flash...

Good/ bad idea?:confused: I wonder if internally if it is even technically possible? :confused:

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

If you're jailbroken, the application BiteSMS does just that

3. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

bad idea. that's a high power led, a notification led would be a low power one. and visible from the front.

4. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

...and better than no idea. If such an option were available I'd use it. Fortunately you likely wouldn't have to.

5. nelly29 thread starter macrumors member

If they could not control the level of light the led puts out then that is an obvious no no but cant apple just make the led glow?

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Someone brought up the same idea a while ago. It's a nice thought if apple were to have led notification, but it has to be on the front. You're forced to place the phone face down or use a bumper or clear case if you used the camera led.

7. nelly29 thread starter macrumors member

I had a feeling it had been brought up? I know all cases have a camera and flash cut out i wonder if they would still make the glow led idea visible? I dont think apple would ever let this half assed led notification official but i know i would still use it

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it doesn't make any sense to me to use the flash on the back of the iPhone for notification.

9. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

10. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Maybe they can just have the proximity light turn all the way up (some say its IR but I have seen it before so it can't be) :confused:

11. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

You answered your own question and also have sucky grammar.

13. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Sounds like someone wants the iPhone to do a Blackberry function.

Its like buying a high end sport car, and then complaining that it doesn't do mudding but it should.

I guess if you want and LED like a Blackberry, then buy a blackberry.

My complaint is that it doesn't mow my yard. Maybe we can ask Steve for that app. :D

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is IR. Most human eyes can't see IR. The few that can, are only able to see it when it's turned up very bright and in a dark room.

15. kepner macrumors 6502

Interesting. I can see the red dot (barely) when I open up the Google app (it uses the proximity sensor for voice search.) The room is not dark, either.

16. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

With 4.1, its turned WAY up to address the proximity bug. Most people can see it in a light room now too

17. nelly29 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I had a blackberry for years @ work...hate those god dam things as all they did was give me more work to do (it is how we got our service calls)
    It is the one oversight I think the iphone has is I have to turn on the screen to see any missed activity....but it is still so far ahead of any other device for me I would never consider switching....just looking for a way to work with what we have

I did not know that JB offers this feature ?

18. jjprusk macrumors member

Notification LED

This is a function that's available on most all high-end phones, not just Blackberry - I had it on my Treo 600 back 7 years ago...

"Mowing the yard" comment is stupid and arrogant - a proper notification system, including a LED has been sorely missing from the iPhones. Its a big PITA to have to click the home button constantly to see if there were any notifications that I've missed. These types of irritants are acceptable in the short run, but in the long run this is a key missing feature that will eventually hurt the acceptance of the iPhone.

19. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I am he'd to this on my blackberry too so it is one thing I'll miss when updating to iphone

20. jcpazos macrumors newbie

I use Blackberry before iPhone 3GS and now 4; for me iPhone is much better that BB, but the led for know tha new mail is the only thing I miss from BB.

I don't know if Apple can add a led (battery, space..) but some of us can found usefull.

21. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Great idea from MCDJ

Taken from mcdj's post in the thread i linked earlier. I really like this idea

[​IMG]

22. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

only problem is Windows phone and Android devices have this feature. It's not just a Blackberry thing. Apple needs to get with the program.

23. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

That's a great idea, it'd also be cool if the colour was customizable.

24. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I have absolutely no desire for my phone to flash incessantly.

If Apple implements this, they better make a way to turn it off.

25. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

DSF in the building!!!!!!!!