Notification sync between iOS and Mac?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Dulcimer, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I recall from WWDC that notification sync between iOS devices and Mac would work such that I could see Mac notifications on my iOS device and vice versa.

So far, I'm not seeing anything of the sort. Am I missing something? Did I misunderstand the feature? Thanks for any help.

2. Morac macrumors 6502a

Morac

3. MPB11 macrumors regular

it was one of the features I was most looking forward too, reminders and facetime missed calls notifications are always out of sync....

4. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

That... would have been awesome...

Also some sort of NFC if I'm by the computer I don't get them on the phone etc and if I mark it read on one device it's marked read on all devices...

5. eizen macrumors newbie

Do you mean that when you get a imessage on your phone you see it on the messenger app in OSX?

I think you have to re-enable it in account setting on the osx app. I look at it and my phone # was unchecked. But not sure if it's because I just switched to t-mobile as well. Take a look at that setting.

6. Dulcimer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Okay, so I'm not crazy in remembering that feature from WWDC.

That was the one feature I was looking forward to the most! Would've payed $20 just for that alone.

I was looking forward to seeing if Mac app updates were available from my iPad and not having to see it again on my Mac. Or using push notifications in Safari on the iPad and iPhone since it'd be pushed to Mac then all my devices.

Oh well, I'm just extremely disappointed.

I wonder why they took out the feature. Probably bugs/issues but hopefully they patch it into a 10.9.x update.

7. Benjamin99 macrumors member

My notifications appear to be synced, I receive iMessages on my rMBP/iMac/iPhone - if I read on one device it marks as read on the others.

8. eizen macrumors newbie

What are you talking about.
    I've texted during the day and when I come home and use my mac the same text messages are on the Messages APP.

9. xNYMetsx macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

It's pretty much a no-brainer feature as the Mac and iPad are becoming more alike.

10. Morac macrumors 6502a

Morac

Notification sync between iOS and Mac?

Certain apps will sync, like iMessage and (iCloud) Mail, but only if the app is set up to do so. Notification sync was supposed to work for every app. That's not the case.

11. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Did they ever explicitly say anything about it? I thought they only mentioned it working with Messages and Mail. I haven't gotten iCloud Mail notifications to sync between iOS and OS X.

12. hangingwall macrumors newbie

As you can see here (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1682?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) it was listed for iOS 7, and was clearly discussed at the WWDC...

It worked/works intermittently for both Apple apps (mail, messages) and for third party ones as well. But very intermittently.

It was one of the features I was most looking forward to, but it's clearly not working. Which is very frustrating when you have two iDevices and a mac. And I don't understand why it's proved such a difficult thing to implement.

13. Jared- macrumors newbie

Makes sense for apps like Messages, Mail, and any other app that lives on both the iPhone and Mac.

Why would I want to see notifications for apps that aren't on my phone? Like I care about seeing a notification about updating my copy of VMWare Fusion on my phone.

14. Dulcimer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

Well Apple seemed to be planning to implement it, so ask them.

Besides, just because YOU don't want to see that type of information doesn't mean that no one else does.