Notification system!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by iMJustAGuy, Feb 26, 2011.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Somehow, someway. It would take this site to a whole new level. One thing I don't like (in any forum) is having to scroll through a thread to see if someone replied to my post or search my username to do so. I wonder how difficult it would be to implement something like this.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The closest you can get is subscribing to threads you post in and then looking at the list in your User CP. There is no notification mechanism for individual posts and individual user's posts.

3. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Is this any different than being in the forum and seeing the icon that shows a new post since you've posted? And I do understand the said feature is not available but it would be great to have something to the extent of simple Facebook notifications.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well... that's part of it. In your User CP it collects all of your subscribed threads in one place. It also displays the icon in Forum Spy.

Talk to vBulletin about it.

5. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I never really understood the whole "subscription" thing...

6. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

thats something i would be really glad to see. it's really annoying to subscribe to a thread just to see if someone answered a question

7. MCIowaRulz macrumors 6502

Exactly the site (DSL Reports) will send an email to your account or flash a notification of a replied thread along with a link to specifically jump to a thread where a user replied to you

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Get tapatalk if you have an iPhone or iPod touch. It's much easier to deal with the subscriptions this way. I would never take the time out to check them on a computer.

9. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

This would save me so much time. I hate having to click my username, then click my statistics, then find posts by me, then find the thread I'm looking for...

All just to respond to the people who are talking to me. Gets old. :)

10. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Am I missing something? I get an email everytime someone replies to a thread I've posted in.

Now what would be nice is if that email had a link to the thread on the regular site and for the mobile site.

11. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

No an email of someone replying to a comment you left in a thread. Not someone who replies to a thread.

For example you read a thread someone posted and you have a question. So you leave your question within that persons thread. There would be people who would quote your question and answer it. You then get a email of those people who quoted and answered your question.

Being subscribed to a thread that you left a question on is too much work to always look at all the replies people left to the thread as your waiting for a reply to your comment.

Sometimes I don't want to waste my time reading the hundreds of comments after my comment and most likely interested only if someone quoted my comment.

So what would be nice is an option, when subscribing to a thread, to either receive an email every time someone comments to a thread OR someone quoting your comment and replying to it..