Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Since updating to iOS 14, I've noticed the text notification sound is way too loud and does not correspond to the volume slider in Sounds & Haptics. I literally have no control over it. I can move the slider all the way to the left (off) and still notification dings are way too loud. Regardless of what position the slider is in they always play at the same loud volume. I did a full erase and reset of my iPhone but it didn't help. Anyone else seeing this?

I tried toggling Change with Buttons but it made no difference.

Last edited:

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
Since updating to iOS 14, I've noticed the text notification sound is way too loud and does not correspond to the volume slider in Sounds & Haptics. I literally have no control over it. I can move the slider all the way to the left (off) and still notification dings are way too loud. Regardless of what position the slider is in they always play at the same loud volume. I did a full erase and reset of my iPhone but it didn't help. Anyone else seeing this?

I tried toggling Change with Buttons but it made no difference.

This has been happening to me, too. Surprised no one has chimed in about this. I know I'm not imagining it!

Nixle

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
iPhone 12 on iOS 14.2 (issue on 14.1 too), system sound volume is varying for things like keyboard clicks and locking sounds, sometime it’s very low but the sound increase as I type, same thing happens to the locking sound, use it multiple times and you hear that the lock sound isnt at the same frequency each time. Also when removing and reput the silicone apple magsafe case the locking sound has a different sound (hi pitch) and it does not go back to normal until you reboot the device..

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
iPhone 12 on iOS 14.2 (issue on 14.1 too), system sound volume is varying for things like keyboard clicks and locking sounds, sometime it’s very low but the sound increase as I type, same thing happens to the locking sound, use it multiple times and you hear that the lock sound isnt at the same frequency each time. Also when removing and reput the silicone apple magsafe case the locking sound has a different sound (hi pitch) and it does not go back to normal until you reboot the device..
Thank you for the confirmation. I just hope this isn’t another one of those bugs Apple waits until the next major iOS release to fix.

DaleW

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
Same. iPhone X and with iOS 14.
Notification volume goes to max but only when Airplay music/etc active. And its loud enough to make me jump!
Going into Sounds & Haptics and tweaking the 'Ringer and alerts' volume control seems to normalise it during Airplay.
But stopping and starting airplay and notifications go to max volume again.
Very very annoying.

jwzimm

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2017
I am having the typing sound issue as well. It is really annoying actually as the clicks get progressively louder the more text I type. Very distracting!

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Glad I'm not the only one! Please report to apple via apple.com/feedback. I just did earlier. My notifications are WAY louder semi-randomly than the set volume

adrianlondon

macrumors 601
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I didn't have this problem until the latest beta (I'm on 14.3) but it's now affecting me.

It seems my phone has three independent volumes. Ringer, media playback / speaker and alert/notifications. I've no idea how to adjust the last one, but sometimes the volume buttons appear to have an impact, and sometimes I get the ringer slider on the left (instead of at the top). Thing seems a mess.

At the moment, notifications are either coming in silently or as loud as possible. It seems random.

Last edited:
Reactions: rye9

robpilk

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
This issue has been driving me nuts and—yes—it seems to be triggered when I'm using Airplay (iPhone 11, iOS 14.2)

I chatted with an Apple Support person today and their solution was to turn off the Keyboard Clicks. ? Really hoping for a fix on this soon.

Last edited:

DaleW

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
This issue has been driving me nuts and—yes—it seems to be triggered when I'm using Airplay (iPhone 11, iOS 14.2)

I chatted with an Apple Support person today and their solution was to turn off the Keyboard Clicks. ? Really hoping for fix on this soon.
Keyboard Clicks are already off for me. Always have been. Problem happens with them off. Sadly, this isn't a workaround/solution.

Reactions: robpilk

robpilk

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Keyboard Clicks are already off for me. Always have been. Problem happens with them off. Sadly, this isn't a workaround/solution.
Totally agree. Other sounds, like Twitter notifications and Lock Sounds, are also amplified when this issue occurs.

Right now, my only solution is to silence my phone when using Airplay—and hope that an iOS fix is coming. ?

Reactions: Yaro

Honeysmom

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
This has been driving me CRAZY...it is so annoying when I'm at work and my text goes off or if someone text me at night. I really wish I could figure out how to lower the text. I am not using AirPlay or anything else it just seems to always be loud on my phone

jaggunothing

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Bangalore, India
Any update on a fix for this issue?? it is pretty irritating. Everytime the phone connects and then disconnects to a bluetooth device like a headset or in-ear pods, the ringer volume resets to max. ?

DaleW

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2020
Any update on a fix for this issue?? it is pretty irritating. Everytime the phone connects and then disconnects to a bluetooth device like a headset or in-ear pods, the ringer volume resets to max. ?
Not as of the latest iOS version 14.3. If there's anyone reading this on a beta program, please confirm if its still an issue and if so, report back to Apple as a bug. Thanks in advance... (BTW I've considered rejoining the beta program for this alone! Might have to. Its doing my head in.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.