Notification when connected to CarPlay?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bjorntj, Nov 30, 2016.

1. bjorntj macrumors newbie

bjorntj

Hi..

Just wondering if it's possible to still get notification on my watch when my phone is connected to CarPlay? I a missing notifications when my phone is connected to CarPlay, since I hear no sound from my phone then (and when my screen is off, I don't see any notifications) I was hoping that using my watch would remedy that but as fas as I can see, I get no notification on my watch either...

2. Closingracer macrumors 68020

I am using carplay and i am still getting notifications on my watch still.

3. bjorntj thread starter macrumors newbie

bjorntj

Hmmm... Are there some settings somewhere that can be wrong?

4. Closingracer macrumors 68020

IDK I never really messed around with it.

5. bjorntj thread starter macrumors newbie

bjorntj

6. Closingracer macrumors 68020

When I go to school later ill pay more attention to my watch and see if I get all my notifications on my watch. I usually don't check since well I am driving but I do feel the vibrations so I assume I do.

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Are you both using wireless or wired carplay? Have you confirmed your phone/watch aren't on Do Not Disturb mode?

8. bjorntj thread starter macrumors newbie

bjorntj

I am using wired and DND mode is not enabled...

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'm wondering if @Closingracer is using Wireless/Bluetooth, which is why the notifications are still being pushed to the watch? May be different protocols in place for using wired vs. wireless CarPlay?

10. bjorntj thread starter macrumors newbie

bjorntj

11. Closingracer macrumors 68020

I am using it wired.

12. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I do know that when the phone is being used and is unlocked and screen is on, notifications won't be pushed to the watch, as the watch thinks you see the notifications come through on your phone, and therefore don't need them duplicated on the watch. I know you said your phone is locked with the screen locked when plugged into CarPlay, but perhaps you are interacting with the "phone" through CarPlay, therefore it's not pushing the notifications to the watch?

13. bjorntj thread starter macrumors newbie

bjorntj

If you by interacting mean using an app, then I am.. I usually play an audio book or listen to Spotify... I can try not to use the phone at all and see if I receive any notifications then...

14. TxWatch, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I just bought my wife a new XT5 with wired Apple CarPlay, so I am interested to hear if you get notifications when using the features in the car. Please keep us posted.

Edit:

I spoke to my wife, who is out of town with her new car, and she said she was getting the Apple Map notifications on her Watch Sport while she was using Apple CarPlay to navigate to her destination. I asked her to keep track of what kind of notifications she gets when using CarPlay to see if it is only certain types which come through.

15. bjorntj thread starter macrumors newbie

bjorntj

Just tried without doing anyting on my phone and still not getting any notifications. I would also guess the Apple Map gets a special treatment from Apple... :)

16. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

CarPlay shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on Apple Watch.

17. bjorntj thread starter macrumors newbie

bjorntj

That might be but can someone then tell my why I do not get any notifications while connected to CarPlay? As soon as I disconnect from CarPlay, notifications come ticking in....
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2016 ---
    Just chat'ed with Apple support and according to them this is by design.. When the phone is connected to CarPlay, the phone is active so the notifications are only displayed on the phone and not on the watch...

18. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I will test with my wife's new car when she gets back into town. As was said previously, maybe the Apple Map notifications on the Watch are a special use case which happens even when the phone is active.

19. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I drove my wife's XT5 over the weekend and I can confirm the message notifications do not come to the Watch when using CarPlay. The Apple Map turn-by-turn notifications worked correctly, but this must be a special use case which is different from others.

As a side note, I was able to carry on a "text" conversation with my son using the CarPlay audio capabilities. The car read me his text messages and I was able to reply hands-free using the microphone. The voice did not sound like "Siri", so it might be a different audio mechanism when messaging from your car.