Notification when downloads folder exceeds a preset size

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jmh600cbr, Jun 2, 2015.

1. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

looking for an app that does this. please, thanks.

2. Partron22, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

3. jmh600cbr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

4. jmh600cbr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

ok please help:
    I understand that StartCalendarInterval checks based on a time but i cannot find a launchd based on a folder exceeding a certain size. WatchPath keeps and eye on it, but can i set perameters? Thanks

5. blackboxideas macrumors member

If you do want an app to do thins sort of thing (rather than a little service you create) I'd recommend Hazel - http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php

It'll do a lot more than just what you've asked, but that may be advantageous?!

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Here's a little Applescript that'll check if the download folder is over 5gB, and send a notification with sound if it is:
    set z to path to downloads folder
    tell application "Finder"
    set dlsz to size of folder z
    end tell

if dlsz is greater than 5.0E+9 then -- That's 5 gB. Set it for whatever you want
    display notification "It's HUGE!" with title "Downloads Folder " subtitle (dlsz as text) & " Bytes" sound name "Sosumi"
    end if
    return dlsz

You can save this script as an App and have your launchd run it every two hours, or whatever.

7. jmh600cbr, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015

jmh600cbr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

when trying to run this applescript in apple script editor

"Expected “given”, “in”, “of”, expression, “with”, “without”, other parameter name, etc. but found unknown token.

really appreciate your help!

This is what i wrote:

set z to path to "/Users/joshmharris/Downloads"

end tell

if dlsz is greater than 2.0E+9 then -- That's 2 gB. Set it for whatever you want

display notification “Your folder is massive!“ with title "Downloads Folder " subtitle (dlsz as text) & " Bytes" sound name "Sosumi"

end if

return dlsz

8. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

You're running into trouble with : vs / and trying to assign text as a path/alias.
    The standard "path to downloads folder" should work, and "set z to path to downloads folder" will give you an alias that points where you want it to.

9. jmh600cbr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

set z to path to downloads folder

end tell

if dlsz is greater than 2.0E+9 then -- That's 2 gB. Set it for whatever you want

display notification “Your folder is massive!“ with title "Downloads Folder " subtitle (dlsz as text) & " Bytes" sound name "Sosumi"

end if

return dlsz

still gives me the same error and points to the "Your...

10. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

Looks like a quotes issue. Use normal quotes e.g. " not smart quotes e.g. “ .

11. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

12. jmh600cbr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

thanks! you were right it was a smart quote issue, i feel dumb but not when i run it, it builds, but the results are "missing value" and no notification nor a sound plays. is it because it isn't finding the downloads folder?

i suspected that may be cause by the folder being empty but i just tested that and it still gives a missing value result

13. culb0743 macrumors member

Hazel can do this, and so much more. You could probably also set this up using a folder action in Automator. See this article on MakeUseOf for more ideas. Personally, I haven't used folder actions since I discovered the awesomeness that is Hazel.