Notifications across Watch, iPhone, iPad

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JoeTomasone, Jun 9, 2015.

1. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

Is anyone else experiencing oddities with how notifications are being handled once Watch is introduced to the mix?

All my notifications are set to mirror iPhone.

Before my Watch arrived, if I were to get a notification from, say, Facebook, it would appear on both iPhone and iPad. Same with Messages, etc.

Now with Watch, sometimes they appear on iPhone/iPad, sometimes Watch, and I think every so often on all of them.

I haven't yet been able to identify a pattern between when a given device is being used or not other than to say that if I am using the iPhone, I usually do NOT get a notification on Watch - which is what I would want, but not what I am expecting since it should be "mirroring". I have certainly seen where Watch gets a notification and iPhone does not, despite neither being in use.

Am I missing a large chunk of a hidden page in the user manual?

2. Jack426, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

Notifications (should) always go to your watch if it's on your wrist and not locked. Your watch will not alert you if your currently using any other device, as that device should alert you. The only time both devices should notify you at the same time is when you're receiving a call.

The mirror setting is basically saying you want the alerts to come in the same way as they would on your phone. Not that they're going to "mirror" by notifying you on both. It's confusing, because on computers we're used to "mirroring" meaning that one screen will display exactly what's happening on another screen. On the Apple Watch that is and isn't the case, it does mirror, just not in the way you'd normally expect.

Hopefully this makes some sense, it's hard to explain in text.

3. CellXor10 macrumors regular

Huh? I'm pretty sure the Watch gets all notifications as long as you're not using your phone- that is when the Watch is on your wrist. So, when I send a text on my iPhone and put it back in my pocket, when I get a return message, I get it on my wrist whether or not I used the Watch in any way since the text was sent.

4. Jack426, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

Oops! :oops: You're right! :D

Notifications will go to your last used device "if" your watch is locked or not on your wrist. Notifications will also alert you on the device your currently using.

I've updated my post above as not to confuse anyone else. :confused:

5. JoeTomasone thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, this appears to be more in line with what I am seeing.

It just seems wasteful from a battery perspective to alert you on your Watch if you are using your iPad or iPhone and it is getting the alert as well. I'd prefer to get alerts on Watch only when I am not using another device that gets the alert. I think. :)

6. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

It cones through on whatever device yiu are currently using providing that the other devices are not in use (locked/sleep)
    I have upy watch, iPhone, iPad, MacBook and iMac and all notifications con through in the current live device.
    Works really well

7. CellXor10 macrumors regular

So you're more concerned I take it that when you're using your iPhone or iPad your Watch will still get the alert. Rather than, say you are currently not using any Apple device actively and a notification comes in- in that scenario you should receive the notification only on your Watch- or I should say it should not buzz thru on your iPhone. The iPad would still get the notification/alert you regardless, from my experience (which is actually only a week- I got my very first iPad a week ago today. Have had the Watch over a month). Also, in the former scenario, from my experience, if you're using your iPhone let's say and you receive a notification; if you choose to ignore the alert, a few seconds later your Watch will buzz on the notification as well. If you acknowledge the notification on your iPhone, the Watch will not receive it.

8. JoeTomasone thread starter macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I am seeing. I guess it will just take some time to get used to.