Notifications and Haptic (not a haptic complaint thread) :)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Scott-n-Houston, May 3, 2015.

1. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

How does the Watch prioritize or determine whether to use haptic or not?
    I noticed some do, like messages, etc. and some don't like Facebook.

Is this a setting somewhere?

2. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

The setting is based on if sounds are enabled for notifications. If you have sounds disabled on your iPhone for the app, you will not receive haptic notifications.

3. Scott-n-Houston thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I thought that was the case but then didn't get those results when I test it. I will try again.

4. swandy macrumors regular

Testing now - but I think for 3rd party apps (those that were not installed by Apple on the Watch itself - the ones that show in the Apple Watch App on your iPhone in the lower section that reads "mirror iPhone Alerts) you also need some sort of Alert (either Banner or Alert) turned on on your iPhone also.

5. LincolnsiPod, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015

LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

I just noticed this myself: I had sounds disabled for Skype notifications, and but had to re-enable that in order to receive haptic alerts for new Skype messages. Seems counterintuitive since we're referring to vibrations here, not sound, but it occurred to me that my iPhone doesn't vibrate for those notifications either unless "sound" is switched on as well. I just never made that correlation until now. :D

Is there a support page on Apple that would confirm this?

6. flur macrumors 68000

LOL, that's good to know. I keep my iphone on mute/vibrate, so I've no idea what I've marked as having a sound or not. I'll have to take a look and make some fixes.