Notifications are about to get much better!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pcguru83, Jun 9, 2010.

1. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

This is fantastic news!

Palm loses webOS notifications architect to Apple

This is the one single area of iOS that still bugs me. The existing notification system is just horrible. But there is hope! I hear the notifications on webOS are very well done.

2. walds11 macrumors 6502a

I read that on another forum. That's great news. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

3. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

4. kaputsport macrumors member

I can see this update rolling out in a new update.

5. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Yeah, and it will be an amazing new feature unlike anything seen on any smartphone before.

6. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Yeah, that's my fear too. It's almost a certainty IMO, as I seriously doubt we'll see something like this in a point release.

Now I'm curious though, I wonder what the biggest feature we've ever gotten in a point release was? I might have to go back and look at some release notes, because now I'm curious.

7. elephunkman macrumors 65816

8. profets macrumors 68040

this is awesome news. can't wait to see what kind of changes come to notifications in iOS 5

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The point releases actually seem pretty considerable, but I dunno how major of a feature Apple considers their notifications to be. If it's 'big' enough they may well save it for a year, but I can't see that making too many people happy.

10. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Good news indeed. If the iOS ecosystem is lacking in anything it's definitely the notification system.

11. Phat^Trance macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

Sounds nice, but will take some time before we see this "update"

12. nlr macrumors 6502

I hope they add it to iOS4 soon.. (why would things get leaked for iOS5 already its not very realistic to me)

[​IMG]

13. pcguru83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

That is obviously just a mock up--nothing has been "leaked". Realistically, we won't see the effects of this in iOS 4.

14. nlr macrumors 6502

Why not theres like probably 3-5 updates which could be big/small after the iOS4 has been released.

Widgets/Notification is alot more convenient I think but I can live without them.

15. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I know some of you are tired of this old saying, but here you go, just jailbreak and get access to all this and more.

16. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

17. LoganT macrumors 68020

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's going to look nothing like that.

18. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Better Nofications won't come in any 4.0 update. I'm sure it will be a 'big' feature in 5.0.

Cut, copy & paste is a minor feature that could have been in a 2.0 update yet it was touted as a groundbreaking feature at 3.0.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

We only get a single point release per year (x.1) so I kind of doubt that will add any over haul to the notifications with an updates. Has apple extended iOS in a point release or just patch some bugs? I could be wrong but the only updates have been bug fixes.

20. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Would be nice to get the WebOS/Palm Pre's notification system (which is what the pic above shows on an iPhone 4) but alas... :(

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If Palm had taken one of Apple's iPhone employees, people here would be screaming bloody murder.

Oh, you say Palm has taken some of Apple's engineers? Well, let's see, there's bound to be a thread about that around here somewhere....oh, here it is! And judging by the first few posts, it looks like some people here were screaming about it. So I'll just say it:

These clowns want to be like Palm. They can't come up with their own ideas, so they'll hire the people that gave Palm theirs. Apple is definitely grasping at straws and doing everything they can to hire former Palm employees. They still have much ground to make up to catch the Pre; scooping up the crumbs or leftovers doesn't say much for their innovation and creativity involving the iPhone, b/c the bottom line is "they are still trying to emulate the Pre." Still nothing to compete with Palm's notification system. They are still dependent on Palm employees to do everything the Pre can do. Apple should be renamed Palm II. Let the war begin. Let's go Palm! The only thing I want to know is that, how much are they paying him to walk away from Palm. Palm - BUY APPLE. Jeez..... if they want to be so much like Palm, maybe they just want to be part of Palm.

22. nlr macrumors 6502

Well I find it very disappointing that I will have to wait a year from now to get it, Its definitely time to change the lock-screen aswell.

23. William Gates macrumors 6502

William Gates

We only got one with 3.x, but we had 2 with 2.x. I can't remember how many we had with 1.x. Anyway, I'm thinking game center will come with 4.1, hopefully notification system will too.

24. William Gates macrumors 6502

William Gates

Please son, where do you think Rich worked before Palm? That's right, he worked at Apple. Most of Palm's webOS team was hired away from Apple. Now that Palm is no longer, Apple is hiring them back. So **** and enjoy probing yourself with your Pre.

And you do realize that Palm doesn't exist anymore? Why would Apple want to emulate a company that failed?

Read the article bro:

Dellinger is the latest in a string of high-profile departures from Palm in wake of HP's acquisition of the company. He has taken on a job title of "Senior User Interface Designer" at Apple, although it is unclear exactly what projects he will be working on. He previously worked at Apple from 1999 through 2006 in a variety of capacities, initially focusing on technical support engineering and a revamp of the company's online support site before moving to user interface design for Mac OS X, iPhone and iPod.

25. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

There is no way any change to notifications would occur until iOS 5. Sorry, but if you look at the way Apple does anything, it is a very slow and refined process. It will take them at least a year to get something like this developed and fully implemented. Overhauling the whole notification system is not a small task.